Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Saga Begins - Post #1 in Rediscovering Ourselves

So a little back story dump, which isn't allowed in novel writing but I can dang well do on my own blog without an editor's red lines.

What do you do for retirement when the main financial contributor to the household has been out of work for three of the last five years - thanks to the not quite a depression of the last several years - and your retirement accounts have been cut in half due to the same state of affairs? I ask this question knowing so many others have found their life to be in the same fix. Do you work until death do you part? After considering that, we said no.

Lance and Christie
Two years ago, in the midst of wondering what the last half of our life would be like, my son, Lance, called and proposed we join forces, create our own little commune. Oh, I liked that - always wanted to try that life style way back when. After considering the pros and cons of living under the same roof as our son and his lady, we came up with a plan to do just that.

Am I nervous - only a little. Am I anxious - a lot. Am I excited - oh yes.

And that's what I will be blogging on for the next year. You'll hear all about our trials and misfires and what works. Maybe my glimpse into retiring with nothing in the bank but love will inspire or scare others in the same boat. Keep the bucket handy for bailing. Oh by the way, the retiring part is my husband. I will still be toiling away at my writing career, which is in its infancy - but I work hard!
This will be the "before" picture
Let the cleaning begin!
Now the first chapter - The four of us purchased a home on an Arizona prairie complete with a dirt road. It's 2100 square feet with a split floor plan. We get the master bedroom and bath, they get the other 3 bedrooms and small bath. The huge kitchen and living/dining room will be communal. Outside we have 2.2 acres where we will farm for our own consumption. Hmm...Frank says he does not play in the dirt. That leaves three of us. We'll find suitable work for Frank to compensate us! There are rain gutters to install and all the handicap ramps to remove from the last owner. We have what we affectionately call the orchard - 12 new trees. It's winter and it all looks rather bare but spring is right around the corner. So before we move in - let the cleaning begin.


Living room

Kitchen
Back patio

Sunset to our west

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like the start of a great adventure! Best of luck with the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving late in life is difficult but you seem very upbeat. I've just returned to live in the US after spending most of my life in the UK, so I know how you feel. Best of luck in this adventure. Re-invent yourselves!
    Andrea Downing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your move sounds even more dramatic, Adrea. I hope it's going marvelous for you. Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the move. My youngest still lives at home. My oldest and her husband live in Germany. I'd love to have them back in the same state, the same town, or even the same neighborhood. Just don't think we could live in the same house again. We're both too bossy. lol! But when you want something to work, there's always a way. And that sunset alone looks like a beautiful way to sit back, relax, and unwind at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lilly. Thanks. He surprised us with the idea for sure. Not too many children want to live under the same roof with their parents. But he's a unique man. He reminds us in much of the world generations live under one roof. It benefits everyone with the experience of the older generation and the attributes of the young. And his lady Christie is a sweetheart. Still I know there will things to work out. This will be an experience.

      Delete
  5. Brenda, It sounds like you're beginning this new chapter with an excellent attitude. Starting over in a new place is difficult, I know, but looking at it as an adventure rather than a trial makes all the difference. You've chosen a spectacular area with so many of God's natural gifts close at hand. We'll have to do lunch next time I'm up that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to meet up Mackenzie. Thanks for your words. Are you going to the conference in Scottsdale in April?

      Delete
  6. We retired 11 years ago with nothing in the bank except love. We've had a few scarey times when we were skating on the edge of bankruptcy, but we've always pulled through. And now we only have one year to go before my husband gets his pension and we will be sure of a decent income. It can be done! Go for it, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jenny. I'm so looking forward to this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WELCOME to AZ, Brenda! Im a native Floridian but have lived in AZ for over 30 yrs. What area did you move into?

    Wishing you and family lots of good things in your new adventure!

    hugs, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kari, I'm in Paulden, north of Prescott. What part of the state did you settle in?

      Delete
  9. Hi Brenda,
    This looks like a true dream-come-true in the making. I'm so inspired by your willingness to make this work. Please keep reminding us up here in frigid Minnesota to check on you -- I can't wait to see how this unfolds. I see multiple book ideas in this venture! Good luck and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I'll miss you guys. I'll check in with you all now and then. And yes - gotta get a book or two out of this!

      Delete
  10. OMG, small world! I lived in Prescott for 20 yrs before moving to Tucson this past July. Paulden is a great area for country living, and you get all four seasons too. You'll love it there. Prescott has NARWA (Northern AZ RWA) if you want to join them....

    Hugs, Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the four seasons but with a milder twist than Minnesota. Yea! I will definitely join NARWA. I am already a member of Desert Rose. Maybe we'll cross paths, Kari.

      Delete
  11. I hope your move is as successful as ours was, Brenda. And don't forget Skype -- it's a great way to stay in touch with folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J L. Oh - Skype. So true. I talk to a friend in Austria every other month. It would certainly work for MN.

      Delete
  12. Brenda, if you'd like, write me off-post: authorkari@yahoo.com


    hugs, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brenda,
    Thanks for sharing your adventure. I look forward to reading all your posts in the upcoming year. May you have more ups than downs, and more laughs than cries.

    Diane Pearson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Diane. I've been there all weekend so I'll have a story to tell on Tuesday.

      Delete