Monday, February 26, 2018

Find Your #Muse and #Write When You Can by Jasper Trey

MUSE MONDAY


Please welcome a new guest to Discover Yourself, Jasper Trey, with a peek into a writer's process.
Thank you Brenda for having me on today.
Stories are pretty easy for me to come up with, getting them written down in the awesome way they came to me on my commutes, not so easy. Or when I’m going to sleep at night and think of the perfect way to say something? I should really get up and write it down, but my bed is so comfy and cozy, surely I’ll be able to remember in the morning and write it down then. I should really learn.
Instead I wind up writing at odd times, often when I have students around in my classroom and I’ve miraculously found five minutes that I’m in front of my computer and nothing else to do. Or I’m between yoga classes at the studio. That’s when I try to find that magic phrasing again, only to find it’s lost to the winds of sleep and time. BUT I get to reinvent the whole thing and see where it takes me. Sometimes its to the same place as my night time musing and other times it makes my story take a whole new direction.
Olivia played in my brain for a full 18 months before I put my fingers to the keyboard for the first time. I had written it so many different ways in my head, and there was still one more way for it to go. I hope you enjoy this version of my story.
Jasper (Jen)
Excerpt
Dante turned the page of the sci-fi novel he’d checked out from the resort library. He 'd chosen it because it seemed an easy read, but the curvy brunette in the red bikini sidling up to the beach bar was winning the battle for his attention. He tried once again to concentrate on the book in front of him.
The beer filled his view shortly before the bronzed, bikini-clad body did. The beer slowly crossed his vision to be set on the table next to his chair. Then, with the grace of a yogi, the red bikini braced her hands on the arms of his chair and straddled his lap, ending with her mouth a scant half inch from his own. He could feel her breath on his lips, and was on the verge of closing that last half inch.
“I hear this is what you are drinking,” Bikini said, snapping Dante back to reality, and to the woman standing in front of him holding a couple of beers.
He really needed help if he was imagining strangers straddling him. He was really grateful to the book, as it hid his instant reaction to the thought of her straddling him.
Red Bikini continued. “I figured it was going to be Corona, and I’d have to decline the staff’s request to bring it over. But since it’s German, well, that shows good taste.”
The smile she gave him was slightly crooked, but Dante thought it seemed genuine. He reached for the beer.
“This will let me show the staff I can play nice,” she said. “Mind if I sit down?”
Watching her from behind his mirrored aviators, he gestured with the beer toward the seat next to his. As she turned to sit, he tried as discreetly as possible to adjust the hard on that his little fantasy brought on. But the slight smile she sent him as she sat and rested her elbows on her knees, let him know she had noticed.
Twitter: @jenofalltradz

No comments:

Post a Comment