Thursday, May 11, 2023

Reading and Reviews (Fuller and White)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day. 

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author. 

The Mockingbird Drive by A. C. Fuller 

Five people are dead at a small Las Vegas newspaper...
The police and the media are running with the "official story"...
But Alex Vane is after the truth.

Alex Vane was once a top investigative journalist. Now he peddles celebrity gossip and clickbait listicles, watching from a distance as his wife moves on with her life - without him. But Alex's past catches up to him when he learns that an old source, James Stacy, has been killed in a random mass shooting.

James left Alex one last scoop: a 50-year-old hard drive that may contain a secret worth killing for...and the name of the one person who can help him access the data. That person is Quinn Rivers, a paranoid and reclusive computer expert who believes the CIA is tracking her every move. And she may be right.

When Alex shows up at her door with the hard drive, armed operatives are right behind him. Now Alex and Quinn are on the run. There is no one to trust, nowhere to hide, and nothing but the hard drive to prove that James Stacy's death wasn't random at all. 

MY REVIEW

First off, I found this book entertaining. I think Mr. Fuller does a great job with character portrayal. The story is very “now” with lots of terminology and techy stuff so that part was lost on me here and there, but I was able to catch up and get the gist of it. If you don’t believe in the dark world behind government and the movers and shakers, then you might have trouble suspending belief enough to enjoy this read. I didn’t have ANY trouble with that. I like a hero who isn’t all good and has faults. I would definitely read another book with Alex Vane as the main character.

AMAZON BUY LINK

 

Cause for Elimination by Marla A. White 

Reclaiming her life after a devastating riding accident, equestrian Emily Conners’ world shatters again when she discovers her friend and boss lying in a stall with a smashed skull. Now jobless and with a handsome cop underfoot investigating the case, she's torn between wanting the killer found and keeping her own secrets safe.

Detective Justin Butler always gets his killer, but this victim has a stampede of enemies and few leads to go on. Stonewalled by the tight-knit equestrian world, he looks to Emily for help, but she’s strangely reluctant. Is she hiding something, or is she afraid of their growing attraction?

As the search for the murderer heats up, their hearts become entangled and their lives at risk, forcing Emily and Justin to work together to find the killer before they strike again.

 MY REVIEW

I bought this book because it is about the horse world. One of my all-time favorite authors is Dick Francis. But Francis wrote about racing not the equestrian world. That’s okay. I like horses and learned a little about this other horsey world. The main gist of the story is about a murder within that community and the detective who is trying to solve the crime with the aid of a pill-popping equestrian, Emily, who he’s falling in love with. At first, I puzzled over the heroine and her addiction. Ms. White was brave in writing such a flawed protagonist. But I must say she handled the touchy subject well. There were times I wanted to slap Emily upside the head, and maybe that shows I got into her character. I enjoyed the characters Dearg and Lottie as well. 

AMAZON BUY LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment