Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Reading and Reviews (Winters and Black)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. From time to time, I'll share my reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day. 

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, cozy mysterym, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author. 

Burnout (Jessie Black Legal Thriller Book 1) by Larry A Winters 

Years ago, Assistant DA Jessie Black's successful prosecution of Frank Ramsey—a serial killer known as the Family Man—put her on a path to stardom at the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office. But now an ineffective assistance of counsel claim threatens to overturn the verdict.

The claim alleges that Ramsey did not receive a fair trial because of his lawyer, a public defender named Jack Ackerman. Jack, an excellent lawyer, committed himself to a mental institution days after the trial. No one knows why.


Now Jessie must return to the courtroom to face the killer and his new lawyers—a dream team of high-powered attorneys with mysterious motives for taking his case. Unless Jessie can stop them, they will overturn the verdict, destroy a good man's legal career, and put a vicious killer back on the street.


Jessie's only chance to keep Ramsey in prison is to defend his defense attorney and prove Jack's sanity. And to do that, she's going to need to find out what really happened at that trial.

 

AMAZON BUY LINK

 

MY REVIEW

This is my second Jessie Black novel. I’m not reading them in order, obviously. Doesn’t matter. I’m hooked on this series. Jessie is an easy character to get behind and follow her adventures. I love characters that are fleshed out so thoroughly that I feel like I know them. She is not so kick-ass she comes off fake. She’s just tough enough and smart. The story is involved and well rounded. An enjoyable read.



Death by Pins and Needles (Holly Swimsuit Mystery Book 2) by Susie Black

 

The last thing Mermaid Swimwear sales exec Holly Schlivnik expected to find when she opened the closet door was nasty competitor Lissa Charney’s battered corpse nailed to the wall. When Holly’s colleague is wrongly arrested for Lissa’s murder, the wise-cracking, irreverent amateur sleuth sticks her nose everywhere it doesn’t belong to sniff out the real killer. Nothing turns out the way she thinks it will as Holly matches wits with a heartless killer hellbent for revenge.

 

AMAZON BUY LINK

 

MY REVIEW

The world of swimwear sales is a lot more cutthroat than I imagined. In fact, I didn’t know such a huge world even existed. This is the second book in the series and since I read the first, I’m learning even more about what I thought might be a glitzy world. Ms. Black makes that world come to life. The amateur sleuth, Holly, certainly knows the ins and outs all the while solving the murder. Ms. Black’s books are full of standout characters who guide you through the mystery. You don’t need to read book one to enjoy this second book in the series.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment