Saturday, September 9, 2023

Reading and Reviews (Cooper and Winters)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. From time to time, I'll share my reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day. 

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author.

After the Fact by Jeff Cooper 

When Jack Collins leaves a small Connecticut law practice to join one of the nation’s most prestigious firms, he trades a nondescript office for an elite one in a gleaming New York City skyscraper. He basks in the pride of working with people far more glamorous than those he left behind, including a famous boss, an alluring coworker, and a well-known client, Abigail Walker, the wealthy widow of a senator.

Jack thinks he’s on the path to glory, but he’s really a victim of deceit, a pawn in a game he doesn’t even know he’s playing. His new boss harbors deep secrets, his seductive coworker is not the person he thinks she is, and his new law firm is at the very center of a blackmail plot involving the widow Walker.

Blinded by the allure of wealth and power, Jack doesn’t see the danger around him. Time is running out for him to figure out the truth before he loses everything: his career, his marriage, and maybe even his life.
 

MY REVIEW

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The main character, Jack Collins, isn’t a perfect human being. He’s a good man, and I routed for him, but his faults made him that much more interesting. I feared he’d succumb to the seductive coworker and ruin his marriage. I’m not saying he doesn’t…don’t want to spoil it for you. There is a villain of sorts who I was happy to see take a dive. I applaud Mr. Cooper for good characterizations. To me a good story is incomplete without standout characters. And the plot is twisty enough to keep you guessing. 

AMAZON BUY LINK

 

Deadly Evidence (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers book 3) by Larry A Winters 

When a massacre at an elite private high school leaves seventeen dead and a city reeling with horror, Philadelphia Assistant District Attorney Jessica Black will stop at nothing to find justice for the victims. But doing so will require facing an adversary even more terrifying than the teenage shooter.

Lurking in secrecy is an evil voice known only as True_Man. True_Man haunts the Internet, befriending the lonely and the frustrated, turning adolescent emotions toward destruction. Jessie believes True_Man is just as guilty of murder as the teenager he manipulated, but finding him—and proving his guilt in the courtroom—will take all of Jessie’s formidable legal skills and more. 


MY REVIEW

I’ve read several Jessie Black novels by Mr. Winters. I’ve enjoyed all of them including this one, although I don’t rank this as one of the best. Her partner, Graham, irritated me a few times with his phone. I think you’re supposed to get irritated and feel Jessie’s frustration, but it seemed a bit overdone. Jessie hunting down True_Man seemed forced at times to make it work. But don’t get me wrong. This is an entertaining novel which is the purpose and appreciated.

AMAZON BUY LINK


No comments:

Post a Comment