Monday, June 28, 2021

Ripped from the Pages... #MuseMonday #Inspiration #WRPbks

When I don't have a guest on Muse Monday, I'll share excerpts with photos that inspired scenes from my books.  

I grew up listening to my mom recount memories from the 1940s. I fell in love with the era and with the love story between my mom and dad. Although I write romantic suspense for the most part, my historical romance, Post-War Dreams, is the book of my heart.

 

I’m sharing two short excerpts today.

 



ONE

Claire shook her hair back and lifted tresses the color of a summer sunset from her neck with a flourish. “I’d definitely like to pursue a career in the movies.” The word theatrical came to mind while her smile dazzled him. “This contest should be a lot of fun.” She stared directly into his eyes, the dark brown of hers simmered. “Do you go to the movies?” 

“Now and then.” 

She dipped her chin and gave him a beguiling upwards glance. “I bet you’re a Rita Hayworth man.”


When he only shrugged, she continued, surprising him with her flirtatious tone. “Come on, now. We all have our favorites.” 

“Yeah, she’s…okay.” The words he could use for the sexy, red-haired actress he’d leave unspoken to the young Claire. “Do you dance and act in addition to singing?” 

“I will.” She nodded, quite serious. “I think it’s best to be well-rounded, if you’re going to have a chance in Hollywood. I don’t exactly have any credits to my name yet, still, I’m pretty sure I could act, if given the chance. As far as dancing, yes, a few lessons will be in order, eventually.” 

“So, it’ll be off to Hollywood for you after graduation?” Unusually confident for a high school girl, he could imagine her hopping on a bus to follow her ambitions. Pity. “Not interested in hanging around Phoenix to raise a family?” 

“Oh goodness, lots of time.” Once again, she pushed the hair from her silky-smooth neck with a flip of her fingers. “Following your heart should be first.” 

And who will steal your lovely heart? 

 

TWO

“But…but you can’t love Susan.” My voice, soft as a whisper, didn’t betray the rising fear boiling up from the pit of my stomach. 

He gripped my arms with emphasis. “No, I don’t.” 

My stomach calmed a bit, the fear at a simmer. “Does she love you?” I had to convince him his thinking had clearly gotten off course. 

“No. I mean I don’t think so.” 

“Is she demanding you love her?” Love was everything. Without love, this wasn’t our problem. 

“No…”  

His hesitation cheered me on. My panic churned barely below the surface as I led him down the path of reason. “Well, then, Benjamin, why—” 

“Claire, she’s pregnant. I’ll have to marry her.” 

“Marry?” I choked on the word. Fear and panic erupted. “Oh, God, no. Benjamin!” The tears toppled and flooded my cheeks. “This is her problem.” 

“You know it isn’t, Claire.” His words were thick and strained. “I have to take responsibility.” 

“No, Benjamin, no!” I slapped my palms to his chest as if I could stop this madness with a physical barrier. “No, you don’t.” 

He encircled my waist, gently caressed, but held me firm until my tantrum played out. 

I folded into his chest, but my anger still had some steam. I balled one hand into a fist and hit his chest. “Why? Why do you always have to do the right thing? Why?” I swiped away tears so I could see his reaction when I glared into his face. 

His chest heaved as he stared into my hostility with calmness. “You wouldn’t love me if I didn’t.”

BOOK LINKS:

AMAZON

APPLE

BARNES AND NOBLE

BOOKS-A-MILLION  paper 

BOOKS-A-MILLION ebook 

KOBO

GOOGLE STORE

GOODREADS

BOOKBUB

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Brenda. It is always interesting for me to know your inspirations. I love how you describe "Post-War Dreams" as "the book of my heart". It sounds glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vali. Someday (oh those somedays) I might write another from the era. It's such a romantic time period.

      Delete
  2. I complete agree. There is a reason it is referred to as "the greatest generation".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time period for a book! This sounds great, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. This one took me longer than any of my other novels but I'm happy with the result.

      Delete