Wednesday, June 30, 2021

High Vices by Kelly Hopkins #reviews #NewRelease

Antoinette would like to go to the prom, but first she has to kill her mob boss father…if he doesn’t get to her first.

I want to introduce you to an exciting NEW RELEASE. Kelly Hopkins's latest novel will officially hit the world on July 5, but you can pre-order this exciting new book right now. High Vices is published by Champagne Book Group. I'm so proud to be part of this project. Kelly has a unique voice. High Vices is crammed with suspense and great characters.

A few words from Kelly:

There are very few times in my life when I have actually burst into tears. Finding the email from my editor that told me High Vices has been acquired was one of those times. Although not my first book to be published, High Vices is the first book I wrote when I decided to get serious about being an author. I’ve shed countless layers of my soul into these characters through dozens of revisions. It is the book of my heart; the one I will always love the most. I hope you enjoy Antoinette’s story.

Here's a tease for you.

Antoinette Lombardi is not your average daddy’s girl.

She didn’t ask to be the daughter of one of the most feared cartel kingpins in the world, and she sure didn’t ask to be recruited to take her father down. But when the cartel finds Antoinette and her mother hiding in witness protection, her mother agrees to become the government’s bait to protect her daughter, leaving Antoinette in the care of agents who despise her family line.

Given a new identity at a super-secret boarding school, Antoinette is introduced to the other teens in a diverse posse, all of whom have lost parts of their lives to the murderous cartel. Together, this cast of criminal teens will infiltrate the cartel’s ranks at its most vulnerable levels and secure the revenge they seek—if they don’t kill each other first.

Excerpt:

The lump of terror in my windpipe refuses to dislodge as I take Jo Flynn’s warm hand in my frozen fingers for a business-like squeeze. Whatever her reason for bringing us to the bunker, if she’s here to talk to me, the news must not be good.

She releases my hand and leans back in her chair. Her finger taps on the cover of my file. “You’re fortunate to be alive. I heard what happened. You both could have been taken or killed on the spot.” Flynn opens the file offering a glimpse of the paperwork inside and my mother’s picture stapled to the jacket. “But I suspect they wanted to kidnap you. Your mother made a lot of people upset back in Italy. The Lombardis take pleasure in getting even. Slowly.”

A horrified shudder blows through me like a frigid gust of January on the Fourth of July. “So, what are we going to do? Where do we hide now?”

With a half-smirk, she asks, “We? Antoinette Lombardi, heir to the Lombardi throne, is siding with the cops?” She shakes her head as if this news amazes her. “The only way to keep you both safe is to separate you.”

I bolt from of my seat, my palms planted on the tabletop. “What? No!” Leave my mother? The stress would kill her.

“Your mother’s condition remains out of control. She needs consistent medical attention to treat her diabetes. We require her assistance to track your father—she can’t do either if she’s always on the run. Besides, you have to finish high school.”

“School? You think a diploma matters to me? After today?” Incredulous, I glare at her.

“Sit.” She gestures to my seat. I hold my ground and count to twenty before complying.

Her lips tighten, and she flexes her fingers before continuing. “You’re both so strong which is why you’ve made it this far. Today was too close—we can’t take a chance again. You need to learn how to protect yourself.”

I can protect myself. So can my mother. Somehow, I don’t believe this cop would agree with me. The reality of my situation sinks in. They’re dividing us. Taking my mother away from me to keep us protected. “Where are you taking her?”

Flynn crosses her arms over her bright white blouse. Furrows appear in her forehead when she frowns. “I can’t tell you. If you have any idea where she is, you can be compromised. The same goes for your mother. Once a month, until we get Lombardi, you’ll receive a clean, untraceable phone. You can talk for fifteen minutes under supervision. After, both phones will be destroyed.”

I stare, willing myself to wake up from the nightmare. That’s what it has to be. A dreadful fever dream. “This is crazy.”


Kelly Ann Hopkins fell in love with mysteries as a teen and still can’t resist a good “whodunnit”. She spends her days as a high school librarian and creative writing teacher where she challenges her students to read with abandon. When Kelly isn’t creating perilous adventures for her characters, she is dreaming of her next trip to the Florida Gulf Coast. Kelly lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, two children, Auggie the dog, and too many books. 




Kelly’s loves to connect with her readers. Find her at: 

WEBSITE/BLOG

FACEBOOK

INSTAGRAM

TWITTER


2 comments: