Monday, March 28, 2022

Research...Necessary Even in Romance by Jennifer Wilck #romance #MuseMonday #cybersecurity

MUSE MONDAY

Please join me in welcoming Jennifer Wilck back to Discover... It's a modern day Muse Monday.

Thank you, Brenda, for hosting me on your blog today. I loved writing Unlock My Heart. The hero is the CEO and founder of the top cybersecurity firm in the country. He’s successful and brilliant and hard of hearing. Because of how his father viewed him when Ted was a child, he goes to great lengths to make sure his employees and his clients don’t treat him differently because of his lack of hearing. And when it comes to love, he’s tired of meaningless sex where he's only valued for his wallet. The heroine is an incredibly talented computer programmer who values her independence. Abby grew up poor and watched her mother chase after men for their money, but then squander it all away. She wants financial independence and doesn’t want to depend on a man. Obviously, the two of them are made for each other. J 

Unlike other books I’ve written, I had to do quite a bit of research for this one. First, I needed to be able to write about the technology they used. For that, I interviewed an old high school friend of mine who is a tech wizard. She broke everything down for me and figured out how I could write about it. Her help was invaluable, and I’m so glad I was able to talk to her. If you buy the book, you’ll see I dedicated it to her. I also blame all mistakes on me, not her. 

I also had to work on the hard of hearing part. I am also hard of hearing, so I was able to use some of my own experience, but in order for it to work in the book, I needed to make Ted’s issues more severe than mine. And this required me to make use of social media—to gently ask questions of complete strangers who were more than willing to help me. Again, all mistakes are my own. The humor is mine, though, and comes from some of my own mishaps. 

I hope you enjoy getting to know Ted and Abby! 

Blurb: Abby Marlow, computer security expert, lands a job at the best IT security firm in the country. Her sole focus is financial independence so she never has to rely on others again, especially a man. But why does her boss make her wires short circuit? 

Ted Endicott, CEO and founder of the IT security firm, is hard of hearing. Although an expert in his field, he’s still uncomfortable admitting his difficulty hearing to his clients or employees. So why is he willing to accept Abby’s help? 

As Ted and Abby work together, barriers fall away, and soon the lines blur between colleagues and lovers. But a security glitch in a client's system indicates one of his employees is the hacker, and all signs point to Abby. Can they get past the suspicion and find a future together?  

Excerpt: She’d bragged about his success to her mother? For a man who’d grown up with a dad who called him stupid, Abby’s brag was more of an aphrodisiac than any sexy model ever could be.

He hugged her to him on the pretense of making sure she remained upright and waited for her to pull away.

Her lips moved, and he studied them, unable to hear her with the background music, the whoosh of air as they glided, the voices of the skaters, and traffic noise. He thought she said “thanks,” and he nodded. When she started to speak again, he took his finger and placed it over her lips. They were velvety soft and pink, and he would have given anything to kiss them.

Instead, he shook his head. “I can’t hear you. And lip reading is exhausting.”

He expected the usual shame to creep in. Maybe because she was out of her element here on the ice and relied on him. She clutched his hand as he guided them slowly over the ice. Maybe it was because he saw no pity. In fact, desire flashed. She blinked, and it was gone. But he’d seen it.

He could spend their entire time together wondering what conversations he missed. He could worry about what she thought, or about whether or not the CEO of the company should skate this close to his employee.

Or he could skate. 

Buy Links: 

Universal Link: https://books2read.com/u/4NyjGx 

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Unlock-Heart-Scarred-Hearts-Book-ebook/dp/B09PJWJZBR

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/unlock-my-heart-jennifer-wilck/1140834495

Apple: https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1602136611

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/unlock-my-heart 

Bio 

Jennifer Wilck is an award-winning contemporary romance author for readers who are passionate about love, laughter, and happily ever after. Known for writing both Jewish and non-Jewish romances, her books feature damaged heroes, sassy and independent heroines, witty banter and hot chemistry. Jennifer’s ability to transport the reader into the scene, create characters the reader will fall in love with, and evoke a roller coaster of emotions, will hook you from the first page. You can find her books at all major online retailers in a variety of formats. 

Author Links: 

Website: http://www.jenniferwilck.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/879114386079365

Newsletter: https://www.jenniferwilck.com/contact.html#newsletter

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JWilck

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorjenniferwilck/

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jennifer-wilck

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research is so important, and I'm sure it shows in your work. As always, wishing you the best with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jennifer. "Unlock My Heart" certainly sounds like a fun and entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Research is my favorite part of writing. I love finding out new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate research, but it's necessary so I've had some fun with it. Thanks, Ilona.

      Delete