Sunday, October 30, 2022

Reading and #Reviews (Henderson and Labrecque)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day. 

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author.
 

Troubled Waters (Cypress Coast book 3) by Alison Henderson

Glassblower Angelica McDowell has aspired to be a full-time artist since she was a child growing up in Big Sur. When presented with a career-changing commission, she dares to believe her dreams might come true. However, the discovery of a desperate young woman on her doorstep and the subsequent murder of her shady landlord threaten to drag Angelica into a dark underworld, destroying her hopes, and possibly her life.

FBI Special Agent Hunter Blackstone, accompanied by his irrepressible pug, Jocko, has come to Monterey to join a task force pursuing a gang of international human traffickers. When he meets Angelica, he is immediately attracted by her bright wit and sunny disposition. But when she’s inadvertently drawn into his case by a pair of seemingly unconnected deaths, the stakes in their budding relationship soar, and he finds himself in a race against time to prevent her from becoming another victim.
 

MY REVIEW 

This has been an entertaining series about three sisters. Mom plays a roll in the stories too with a restaurant I’d love to eat at. In the third book, Troubled Waters, Ms. Alison tackles human trafficking in her story, and she does it well. Heroine, Angelica McDowell has a fear of the water although living on the coast. That added another element of interest. A pug named Jocko almost steals the show, but I have to say FBI Agent Hunter Blackstone stands out in my mind. In fact, I loved him! His seemingly flat personality actually has depth. Ms. Alison does an excellent job of painting him for the reader. I love character driven stories and this book has that as well as a complicated plot. An entertaining read for sure.

AMAZON BUY LINK

 

Newsletter Nija 2: If You Give a Reader a Cookie: Supercharge Your Author Mailing List With the Perfect Reader Magnet Kindle by Tammy Labrecque 

You know you need a reader magnet. You know it will help you attract newsletter subscribers, launch to a bigger audience, and find more success as an indie author. You know that a good reader magnet can turn casual readers into superfans, and superfans into evangelists.

Everyone says so.


But knowing and doing are two different things
, especially when all the advice out there is overwhelming and confusing.
Newsletter Ninja 2: If You Give a Reader a Cookie
 is a thorough breakdown of all the aspects of reader magnets—from choosing which type to write, through planning how it fits into your catalog, to getting it into readers’ hands. Written in the same down-to-earth style as Newsletter Ninja, and packed just as full of solid information and useful ninja tips, Newsletter Ninja 2 will help you. 

MY REVIEW 

Only authors will appreciate this book. I do have to read books that can help me in my career, and this one has already given me some direction. For some reason, I bought this one instead of book one, so I’m heading back to that one next. Authors, you need this book. 

AMAZON BUY LINK


No comments:

Post a Comment