Monday, July 20, 2026

Story Inspiration~More Than a Gift...Muse Monday by Patricia Preston

MUSE MONDAY

Inspiration comes to writers in many forms. Then our muse gets us going. Here's Patricia's take:

Whenever I write fiction, sometimes a tidbit of reality inspires me, and that was the situation with More Than a Gift. I had a wonderful writer-friend, Nancy, who always sent me a Christmas gift I loved. She took the time to find a gift that was meaningful to the recipient. For example, I was writing a Western that featured Jesse James as the heroine’s cousin, and she sent me a biography of Jesse for Christmas. I always looked forward to opening a gift from her. 

When I came up with the idea of a heroine who is prepared for a miserable Christmas until she meets an enchanting mall Santa, I knew she needed a reason to be in the mall, and finding a gift was a likely one. I thought of Nancy and how she’d chosen the best gifts. I knew I had my theme, and I’d have the hero, Blake, as Santa, advise the heroine on giving the perfect gift. 

Then, I started outlining, and the result was More Than a Gift.


She wasn't looking for love, especially love dressed like Santa

After a devastating breakup during Christmas past, hHolly plans to avoid office romances and all things Christmas this year. While she’s at the mall shopping for her boss a gift, a flirty, charming Santa urges her to give the holidays a second chance while helping her find the perfect gift.

Home for Christmas, Blake has sworn off romance until he gets a glimpse of the new girl in the office. When a charity gig has him working as the mall Santa Claus, he can’t resist being Santa to Holly’s Scrooge. But will the chemistry between them flame out when Holly finds out who Santa really is?

More Than a Gift is a fun, feel-good holiday romance novella (fade to black).

Excerpt:

 

(Holly and Blake aka Santa at the mall.)

 

“Hey, it’s Christmastime. Cheer up,” he said with a twinkle in his blue eyes. “It’s the best time of the year.”

“Santa, I know you’re all about Christmas, but I’m not.” She wandered toward the central aisle of the large mall. “This time of year is a downer for me. I hate Christmas.”

He trailed alongside her. “You hate Christmas? Why?”

“It’s a nerve-wracking holiday. Stressful. And the suicide rate is high.”

“The suicide rate?”

“I read that in the newspaper.”

“I think of Christmas as a day of joy and hope. And love,” he added in good spirits.

“Hmm,” she responded. Santa was an optimistic soul. Beneath the costume, there might even be a hot guy. Don’t even go there, Holly.

He stopped at a Christmas display in the center of the aisle. Animated elves danced to “Jingle Bell Rock.”

“Look at this. Isn’t it great?” He reached for her hand. “Let’s dance.”

“Are you kidding?” Her cheeks flamed as Santa encouraged her to bop with him.

 

Buy Links: Available at most retailers and library ebook providers.

https://books2read.com/MoreThanAGift 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTSEN7S/


Patricia Preston enjoys writing swoonworthy mainstream romances with charming heroines and irresistible heroes. All her books, regardless of the subgenre, are feel-good romances featuring an emotional and compelling romantic journey that will leave the reader swooning. Her favorite place is her writing cave, where there is always music playing and a glass of iced tea nearby. Learn more about her books at https://patriciapreston.com



X: @pprestonauthor
BlueSky: @pprestonauthor.bsky.social
FB: https://www.facebook.com/PatriciaPrestonAuthor

2 comments: