Thursday, September 5, 2013

Where Are the Mice When I Sleep?

Tortuga Thursday
In 2012, on the plains of Northern Arizona, two families joined forces and began the trials and tribulations of building a small family farm with nothing in the bank but love.
 
The sun is rising on Wednesday as I write. We're back to clear, windless mornings after several wet ones. With all the rain and warm temps, we've had foggy mornings the first half of this week. It's delayed my walk time. There are some reckless pickup truck drivers in this area, and I don't trust they'd see me. Idiots. These dirt roads are not meant for four-wheeling. How stupid to tear up the roads we have to drive on every day. When they're so muddy from all the rain we've had, it really makes a mess.

It's a soapbox kind of day. The end of August and into September are tough months for a woman who isn't
Double rainbow over Tortuga Flats
fond of dirt in any form, loose ends, messy patios, mice, allergies and money woes. Two years in a row - I think this is how it will be on our farm this time every year as far as mud, mess and loose ends. The rest we can change.

Mud: so I've complained about the dirt since day one. Blah, blah, blah you say. But wouldn't you think I'd adapt by now? I'm beginning to think it isn't going to happen. Loose ends: even if there were enough hours in the day, it wouldn't help. There's never enough time on a farm to get everything done during harvest season. The bright side is - it's a season. Relax and enjoy. Where? On my messy patio? LOL Muddy shoes, muddy tracks, pails of harvested food,
coolers filled with ice and cucumbers, tools, etc. Mice: we can't seem to get rid of them. Funny thing is we can't find anything they've actually gotten into and eaten. I think they just want out of the heat and rain. We've killed a few. I know there's more. Mice and farms go hand and hand but the thought of them skittering around the house while I sleep gives me the willys. Allergies: that time of year. Christie, Sadi and I are having a time with them. Money woes: well, I told you from day one there might be those. This has been an experiment of building something from next to nothing. Jars of pickles and relish all over the house and the hope we can market them. We're investing what we have and betting on a good outcome. I have to say, we have the best tasting pickles and relish I've ever, ever tasted. We've started the independent taste tests and it's been exciting so far. Stay tuned. Once the logo is done and the labels are on, I'll tell you more.

Sadi's first taste of ice cream
So now the sun is up and I need to get out and get my walk in before the day is in full swing. I'll negotiate the mud puddles still hanging around, ignore the barking dogs and breath the fresh prairie air. When I get back, I'll play with my granddaughter for a few minutes, feed Rusty and head out to the fields for a couple of hours before I settle down to write my current book. Life is full. Life is good.

Off my soapbox. (P.S. I'll be on the road and unable to see your comments until Friday afternoon)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new investment! I personally love relish, so I think it's neat that you and your family have created your own. I wish I could try a taste! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. And if it goes well, maybe it will be in an outlet near you soon!

      Delete