Friday, March 19, 2021

Moving to the Great White North by K. D. Richards #FearlessFriday #RomanticSuspense

 FEARLESS FRIDAY

Please welcome K. D. Richards as my guest blogger today. Moving can be a scary adventure. Moving to another country and culture takes a fearless attitude. Enjoy this reading adventure. 

The last several years have been challenging in more ways than one. 2020… well, possibly the less said about it the better, but let’s just say it’s been a slog. But just prior to the pandemic my family embarked on an adventure by moving to my husband’s childhood home of Toronto, Canada. 

When my sons were born we made sure to get their Canadian Citizenship certificates and we visited his side of the family as frequently as we could so that the boys would have some exposure to Canadian culture and customs. We often discussed the possibility of moving to Canada at some point so when my husband’s dream job opened up in Toronto, the idea of moving to Canada wasn’t completely foreign. For my part, I’d always dreamed – in that way you do when you think about doing something but take absolutely no steps toward making it happen! – of living overseas. Although, Toronto isn’t exactly on the other side of the pond, it is a foreign country and I was open to an adventure.   

That said, the move wasn’t without it’s pains. Most of my family lived within driving distance of our home in Maryland, my mother still in the home I grew up in less than ten minutes away. I had a job I loved teaching legal English and writing and a host of friends. In short, life was pretty great already. Did I really want to make such a big change? And with two kids under the age of ten? 

In the end we made the leap. My job agreed to let me telework – way before all the employees were teleworking – and my family moved to the land of maple syrup, hockey, and Drake. There were growing pains. Winter in Toronto took some adjusting to and the kids were none too pleased to find out that schools don’t close when it snows here. But the kids have loved getting to know their cousins and my mother-in-law is overjoyed to have her baby boys and his boys nearby. 

Although we live in the suburbs, we’re close enough to downtown Toronto to take part in the arts, culture, and activity that makes Toronto one of the most vibrant cities in the world. The best part of making the move is that it gave me the opportunity to really focus on writing and that led to my first book contract. I now channel the two hours a day I spent commuting to and from DC into building my career as an author and I could not be happier. 

All in all, the move was a good decision for my family – scary at some points, yes – but that comes with change. I miss my mother and brother often, but Maryland is only an hour and a half plane ride away and pre-pandemic I’d gotten good at finding great last minute deals on air fare. I can’t say we’ll live in Toronto forever but for now I’m loving my little adventure. 


K.D.’s first book, Pursuit of the Truth, was published by Harlequin Intrigue in February. The second book in the series, Missing at Christmas, will be published in September 2021. 

Pursuit of the Truth Blurb

His skills can keep her safe. Her secrets could get them killed…Security expert Ryan West’s worst fears come to life when hotel CEO Nadia Shelton is pushed in front of a taxi and nearly killed. Someone will do whatever it takes to find the brother Nadia thought was dead, and the only way Ryan can protect her as they uncover the truth is to stay strictly professional. But the sparks igniting between them are nearly impossible to ignore. 

AMAZON BUY LINK


Author Bio

K.D. Richards was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs just outside of Washington, D.C. A writer since a young age, after college she earned a law degree and worked as an attorney and legal instructor for fifteen years but never stopped writing fiction. She currently lives in the Toronto area with her husband and two sons. 


Links

Sign up for K.D.’s newsletter at https://www.kdrichardsbooks.com/subscribe

Follow K.D.

On Instagram https://www.instagram.com/kdrichardsauthor.

On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/kdrichardsauthor.

On Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20494862.K_D_Richards

 

 

2 comments: