Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Dear Diary, Episode Four #diary #TeenLife #Arizona

This is actually the last of this series. After consideration for my current schedule (I'm writing three books and editing three books for other authors), I have decided to suspend this experiment for now. 

Dear Diary is a serialized account of one girl's teen years in the 1960s. Although based on my own diaries, the story is fiction. The angst, family drama, and joy are real enough for teenagers in any era. This is an experiment for me. I'm sharing with you the rough, first draft, the skeleton, of what could become a novel. If you  missed any episodes, go to the Index in the right column and click on “Dear Diary” for past posts.

****

On the following pages is my life from January 1 through December 31, 1964. Freshman and Sophomore years at Columbus High School. Go Stallions! My best friend in grade school, Janice Schmidt, gave me this diary for 8th grade graduation. I’m fourteen, 5’5”, blonde (made blonder by Gentle and Blonde), and I weight 124. I live with my mother, father, sister (Sandy age 11), and my brother (Davie age 2). 

DON'T YOU DARE! IF YOU'RE READING THIS, BE SMART AND PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!!! THIS IS THE PRIVATE PROPERTY OF JANELLE JOSIE WINSTON.

January 21, 1964 Tuesday

Dear Diary,

Today was a pretty good day. Pep Club meeting after school was fun. Not really anyone I hang with in the club, but they’re all cool with coming up with ways to keep kids involved in school activities. I’m going to have to quit eating lunch and save the money so I can buy some red shoes for Donna’s Valentine’s Party. I should be able to save enough by then.

Mel called tonight. He tested me to see if I remember the date we met. Of course I did. He’s been keeping count of the days too. He has three dates on his calendar. One is my birthday and another is the day we met. He won’t tell me what the third date is, but it has something to do with me! I’ve been trying to figure it out. Is he going to ask me to go steady? I don’t know what else it could be.

Parents are getting so tight on the length of my phone calls. I wonder why? Ha!

January 22, 1964, Wednesday

Dear Diary,

Today was great except for one thing. Mum forgot to pay the phone bill, and now we’re without until Friday. How does that happen? She’s a housewife whose job is taking care of the house. I didn’t say anything. How can I? Daddy didn’t seem the least bit upset. Screwy.

It rained today. Rain is beautiful, or rather the rain brings out the beauty around me. When the trees are washed clean, they literally sparkle against the gray clouds. And everything smells so great. Daddy says what I’m smelling are thankful desert plants. He says the mesquite bushes and palo verdes trees give off that fantastic odor when they’re wet. That’s all great, except for my hair. When it rains my hair goes flat and straight.

I’m sure I did great on my English test. Luckily, the Algebra test was postponed. I can always use more studying time for the hated Algebra.

Corrine told me Mel is going to ask me to go steady. He’s also going to have my own phone installed in my bedroom. I can’t possibly accept that. That’s like so big, I can’t even get my mind around it. Of course, he can’t call me tonight, so I can’t tell him that. I sure hope he comes by the school when we let out tomorrow. Unknown to Mum and Dad of course.

January 23, 1964, Thursday

Dear Diary,

Corrine told me Mel worked last night and tonight. I’m missing him something awful. I’ve thought this through, examined my conscience, and if Mel comes by to get me after school tomorrow, I want him to bring me all the way home. My parents don’t know he’s picked me up from school and taken me to Donna’s. I might as well see what happens if I have him bring me all the way home. If they found out about the other times, ou wee! And I’d feel so awful. Like I’m sneaking. So before they find out, I’ll have him bring me home and confront the issue in the present tense.

January 24, 1964 Friday

I love Fridays. What kid doesn’t? I have next to no homework so that’s cool. Mel didn’t come after school. At least I got to talk to him on the phone at Donna’s. Our phone is still dead. It’s odd. I asked Mom about it again, but she said she wasn’t sure why not. Anyway, Mel had to overhaul an engine at some airport. Donna and I went to the game and dance. We won! Go Stallions! 5th straight win. The dance wasn’t much fun. Guess I miss Mel. I’m getting to know George Barnley better. He kept making funny faces at me. He’s a real nut. I met Jake Klerk, Vice President and a junior, at school today. We talked a while at the dance. He’s a kook too. Gary Sanders brought a girl from another school to the dance. I wonder how long this one will last? That’s all I can write.  Yawn. I miss Mel.

January 25, 1964 Saturday

This afternoon, I went to Sharon Pritchard’s, and we got five of the eight count beats for the Pom Pon dance we are supposed to make up for P.E. We’re doing it in pairs. Sharon and I are talking about trying out. Kind of scary, but I really think I want to be a Pom Pon girl.

Donna spent the night with me tonight. We studied some. She thinks my dad is cute which kind of creeps me out a little.

January 26, 1964 Sunday

Dear Diary,

Fun day. Donna, Evan, Mel, and I rented bicycles built for two. We must have covered 15 to 50 miles!! I’ve got cuts on my legs. My butt is sore. I can’t imagine what I will feel like tomorrow.

This evening, I had another discussion with my parents about dating. I started crying. Guilt flooded me. My heart pounded. My scalp felt like it was rippling with goosebumps. I told them about Mel driving me to Donna’s sometimes after school. All of my angst was for nothing. Well, maybe not nothing. They said I need to be more honest with them, but I was excused. What a relief. Incidentally, my parents are really sweet. I love them both so much. I love my whole family. Sandy and Davie are the best sister and brother ever. Love them!  

 

 “Names, characters, places, and incidents are either the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales, is entirely coincidental.”

No comments:

Post a Comment