Friday, September 23, 2022

Forging Ahead Fearlessly by C. B. Clark #ForgingForgiveness #RomanticSuspense

FEARLESS FRIDAY

You can't imagine the biggest fear for an author if you haven't been there. THE PITCH! I guess it's akin to an audition for an actor or a solo for a singer. A lot of writers have manuscripts collecting dust under their beds for fear of putting themselves out there. So for all those writers who do, this Fearless Friday is for you. Tell us about yours, C.B.

There’s nothing more frightening than pitching a story you’ve poured your heart and soul into to an editor or agent. The first writers’ conference I attended offered agent and editor appointments. I’d just completed my first manuscript, and I was ready to get it out there. I did my homework and carefully planned what I was going to say. I had an index card with the story’s log line and plot points. I practiced my pitch for hours until I’d memorized every word. 

On the day of the pitch, I dressed in what I hoped was a professional looking outfit. I had my lucky penny in my pocket, took a deep breath, and plastered a smile on my face. I was prepared, I was ready…until it was my time to pitch. My heart raced, my mouth dried of all moisture, and I forgot the plot of the work I’d spent the past year writing and endlessly revising. I giggled several times and fidgeted in the chair, crossing, and recrossing my legs until the editor took pity on me, and we chatted about something inane. (I don’t remember what.) Finally, I resorted to reading the notes on my index card. Incredibly, in spite of my botched pitch, the editor requested the full manuscript, and I was euphoric. 

That publisher didn’t acquire my manuscript. Neither did the next one, or the next one. But finally, an editor did, and now I have eight published romantic suspense books. Pitching hasn’t gotten any easier. I’m still nervous, but I remind myself that editors and agents are just people. Most of them are compassionate and understanding. They want to hear about your book. That’s their business.

Blurb:

When small-town college instructor Candace Cooper discovers bloody, bare footprints in the snow while running in a state park deep in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, it brings back the horrific nightmare of her past.

Detective Aiden Farrell is determined to redeem himself in his new position in Colorado, even if that means ignoring his growing feelings for the beautiful professor he meets during an investigation. His fear that the footprints she saw are connected to a recent spate of missing teens intensifies when Candace is assaulted on campus. 

Aiden and Candace join forces, but as they start unraveling the truth, they get closer to each other—and to a killer who'll stop at nothing to achieve his nefarious goal. 

Caught between duty and love, Aiden fights in a race against time to save the woman he loves.

Excerpt:

Candace Cooper’s breath fogged out in plumes in the frosty, late afternoon air as she pumped her arms and loped along the narrow trail. Yesterday’s rain had turned to sleet, and overnight, two inches of fresh snow blanketed the trail.

Something caught her eye, and she slowed to a stop, turned around, and walked back three yards. What the heck? Indentations—a heel, the pad of a big toe, and the four, smaller indents of the other toes—were clearly formed in the smooth dusting of snow. The set of small, narrow footprints tracked along the snowy trail, veering into the deeper shadows of the forest. Someone had walked in his or her bare feet down the cold, snow-covered path.

The wind gusted against her damp face, and she shivered. Late November was too cold for anyone in their right mind to be out in the mountainous backcountry of northeast Colorado walking around without proper footgear. She squatted for a closer look. A smear of dark red, stark against the white snow, marked the heel depression of each left footprint. She touched the red splotch with the tip of her gloved finger. A rust-colored smudge stained the light blue cotton. Her heart rate kicked up.

Blood!

FYI, readers, I've read this book, but I haven't had time to post reviews lately on Discover... Do yourselves a favor and Discover this book. It's an entertaining read. I'll get the review up soon.

Buy Links:

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3ASuXim

Barnes & Noble: https://bit.ly/3Rc1Vje

Kobo: https://bit.ly/3U8zVzh

Apple/iTunes: https://apple.co/3BeiN3E

Google: https://bit.ly/3PSWbd3 

Author Bio:

Forging Forgiveness is award-winning author, C.B. Clark’s eighth novel published by The Wild Rose Press. When she’s not busy traveling around the globe or hiking and camping in the wilderness near her home in northern British Columbia, she can be found in front of her laptop plotting her next story. 

Social Media links:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cbclarkauthor/

Blog: https://cbclarkauthor.wordpress.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/cbclarkauthor

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cbclarkauthor/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15029617.C_B_Clark

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/C.-B.-Clark/e/B01BK61TQG/

Book Bub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/c-b-clark


5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me on Fearless Friday, Brenda. I'm thrilled to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only pitched in person once and you accurately described the nerves dancing across my body. Sometimes though it is almost harder to pitch in writing. I guess we should be good at that if we want to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Bamakim! Pitching s story that you've put so much sweat and tears into is frightening...even in a writing pitch. Best of luck with future pitches.

      Delete
  3. I laughed out loud at your first pitching experience. I could relate. But you stuck with it, as did I, and now I'm faced with pitching yet again. :) It doesn't get much easier. Congratulations on your new book, CB! And thank you, Brenda, for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. You're so right...pitching is never easy. Best of luck with your upcoming pitch session. I'm sure you'll ace it! Thanks for your positive comments.

      Delete