Thursday, January 19, 2023

Writing and Re-Writing a Series #writing #inspiration #RomanticSuspense


At a recent book signing, I was asked where do you begin when writing a series. The truth is, every writer has their own method. My process has drastically changed over the years, mostly due to what I learned from writing my first series. The Love and Murder Series, kicked off in 2016 and was comprised of five books. The end result was good; I’ve received many good reviews and awards. But I had to work harder than needed due to lack of a cohesive system. 

Now, I’m proud to announce the re-release of this series, retitled Wild Horse Peaks. It’s been edited and changed up to polish it. I took book three, A Legacy of Love and Murder, out of the series lineup and made it a standalone sequel to book one. Actually, although it’s a series, you can read each book as a standalone. 

When I wrote the series, I didn’t think ahead far enough. I had to work a little harder to gel the series in the end because I didn’t think ahead. On the other hand, I had a lot of fun letting the characters from book one demand their own stories. 

Book two of Wild Horse Peaks, Southwest of Love and Murder, spotlights a best friend we meet only over the phone in book one. Phoebe is a lusty, strong lady, a mystery writer, and I’m so glad she demanded her own book. The suspense is tight and the romance is fun. 

The Power of Love and Murder, Wild Horse Peaks Book 3, came as a result of a minor character in The Art of Love and Murder. She was introduced as Penny, but the heroine, Lacy, nicknamed her The Black Fairy because of her penchant for all things black in her clothing. She wore fun stuff, too, such as lace gloves and tiaras. Little did I know when we met her in book one that she was living under an assumed name and feared for her life.

Penny was only one inspiration for The Power of Love and Murder. Years ago, my brother told us a story of a miserable night in a cheap hotel when he was broke and trying to get from one job to another. As sorry as that story was, we had to laugh. I knew I’d use it someday in a novel. When you read The Power of Love and Murder, you’ll recognize the scene. 

All the books share characters and setting. It’s a community of twisty plots with plenty of suspense. 

So, where do you begin when writing a series? Decide the kind of series, give some thought to how many books might come out of your ideas, and think ahead. I also keep copious files on each character (everything from eye color to the car they drive), a detailed historical timeline (could even go back a few decades or centuries), location research, event timeline, and any other pertinent files unique to the series. These files have grown over the years, and they are built long before I begin to write the characters’ stories. 

RELEASE DATES FOR THE WILD HORSE PEAKS BOOKS ARE BELOW. All eBooks are UP FOR PREORDER while print books ARE AVAILABLE NOW:

FIND THEM HERE ON AMAZON 

The Art of Love and Murder  February 21, 2023

A woman searching for her past. A sheriff hiding in his present. Their future together threatened by murder.

Southwest of Love and Murder  March 21, 2023

Writing murder mysteries is all in a day's work until an obsessed fan brings Phoebe’s stories to life. 

The Power of Love and Murder  April 25, 2023

Penny’s secrets can ruin the presidential contender who ordered her family’s murder…and mark her as the next hit. 

The Deep Well of Love and Murder  May 23, 2023

A vengeful ex-husband and bloody fight for land threaten a love-struck couple’s happiness. 


A Legacy of Love and Murder, Sequel  May 9, 2023

This  book is free to anyone who subscribes to my newsletter. Subscribe to BNG here.

Inheriting an Austrian Castle is an Alpine fairytale for August, until someone begins targeting the heirs.

2 comments:

  1. Every writer's journey is different and oh, the things we learn along the way. Thank you for sharing, Brenda, and congrats on the new releases!

    ReplyDelete