Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Wicked Humor and a NEW RELEASE by Terry Newman #WickedWednesday #NewRelease #romance

WICKED WEDNESDAY

What could be more fun on a Wicked Wednesday than humor? And I am proud to host my guest, Terry Newman, on her release day. How special. Congratulations, Terry.

Oh my! It’s Wicked Wednesday on Brenda’s blog and it’s release day for Rewrites of the Heart, my (hopefully) wickedly humorous paranormal novel.

JJ Spritely is a romance author who is known for creating characters that jump off the page. Of course, we’re talking figuratively. Until we’re not.

One day the hero and heroine of her work in progress, Alex Zurich and Blake Teesdale, leap out of the pages of their story and smack dab into the real world. And they’re determined it’s time JJ writes her own love story.

Once they’ve delivered their message, the fictional couple discovers they can’t return to their world. Alex is especially eager to get back, so they try various methods that, well, look like they should work, like, imitating Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

While JJ is at her sister’s dinner party (having a disastrous time, by the way) Alex and Blake watch the movie. If the ruby slippers worked for Dorothy, then why wouldn’t it work for them? But, for it to work they believe they have to replicate the scene as accurately as possible, even if it means stuffing six-foot Blake into a dress made for a woman who’s barely more than five foot. Oh, yeah, and instead of ruby slippers, they’ve rounded up red high heels in JJ’s closet.

And this is where it gets good…

“Oh, Alex,” he chimed. “I'm ready. And I'm coming out.”

And with that Alex heard the clicks of the heels on the hardwood hallway. “Damn it!” Click. “Bloody heels.” Click. “How do you women wear these things?” Click. “Oh, my aching back!”

His voice grew louder till he reached the living room where she was standing expectantly. She couldn't believe what she saw. Standing in front of her was the man she loved, dressed nearly exactly as she was. The white dress was barely long enough to cover even a small fraction of his thighs and a pair of red stiletto heels stuffed into his feet.

“Love,” he said grimacing through his pain, “does this outfit make me look fat?”

She merely shook her head. Then she noticed something even more bizarre about him.

“Are those pantyhose you're wearing?”

“Yeah, but they barely come to my waist. I never realized how short JJ was till I put on her pantyhose.”

She doubled over in laughter. He appeared so sincere yet looked so ridiculous. “Uhm, dear, do you know how short that dress is on you?”

“Hey, it's not my fault. It's not like I was shopping at Harrods. JJ had two white dresses in her closet, and you picked the better of the two. My choices were limited.”

He turned his back to her. “Look, I can't even button this bloody thing.” At the sight of the open white dress against his hairy back, she laughed uncontrollably.

“What's so funny?” he asked, as he planted his hands on his hips. “You get to wear the good Dorothy dress. I'm stuck with this.” He looked down at his apparel.

“I just want to make sure we have every detail in place, just in case it's not the ruby slippers that actually work the magic.” He took a deep breath and held out his hand.

“Now could we get on with this please? I think these pantyhose are strangling my manhood.”

They held hands, closed their eyes and clicked their heels together. Secretly, Alex prayed the red-heeled shoes would be a good enough substitute for the ruby slippers.

“Okay, at the count of three,” Blake instructed. Alex nodded. “One, two, three. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.” When they opened their eyes, they were still standing in JJ's living room.

“Let's try it one more time,” Blake urged, “just in case the Universe was busy doing something else and wasn't listening.” Disappointed and on the verge of tears, she slowly nodded her assent.

They had resumed their stance and held hands when she heard JJ walk in through the back door. As the writer entered the living, she asked, “What in the world is going on? Blake, is that you in that dress?”

The sharpness of JJ's voice sparked the flood of tears Alex had tried to hold back. She was so frustrated. She only wanted to return to her world, check on her cat, and make sure that pot of soup she had started hadn't boiled over. She didn't believe JJ when she said she took care of it for her.

Blake turned around, smiling. “We watched—”  

“I know exactly what movie you watched and it’s time the male Dorothy gets out of that outfit.”

Blake harrumphed an unintelligible reply and clomped clumsily to the bedroom, slamming the door loudly. Then from behind the door, he said, “And to think, I shaved my legs for this.”

Buy link: https://books2read.com/u/bP7YAr 

Bio 

Two things you should know about me: I have an offbeat sense of humor and characters are constantly talking to me, trying to get me to tell their stories. Other than that, I’m a normal person. 

I’ve spent most of my adult life writing in some fashion, from small-town reporter, to editor-in-chief and ghostwriter for a national natural health publishing firm. The last decade and a half I’ve worked as a freelance writer, penning ebooks that range from starting a doula services business to Native American herbs. 

I’ve finally took the plunge to fiction after pushing oh, so many doubts aside. My first novel with The Wild Rose Press, Heartquake, won a 4.5 crowned heart review with Ind’tale Magazine. 

All my books are set in fictional towns in northeast Ohio, where I grew up, and I write about things I love—like coffee. 

I have a daughter, a son-in-law, and a grandpuppy and live in North Lima, a real town in northeast Ohio with all my characters. Yes, it does get crowded. 

Social Media Links 

Website

https://terrynewmanauthor.com/

Facebook: Terry Newman

https://www.facebook.com/terry.newman.31521

Twitter: @tnewmanwrites

https://twitter.com/tnewmanwrites

Instagram: terry.newman.31521

https://www.instagram.com/terry.newman.31521/ 

TikTok: @terrynewman614 

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60574351-heartquake?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=99H2V7dnWm&rank=1

 Bookbub: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60574351-heartquake?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=99H2V7dnWm&rank=1

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is a hoot. I totally enjoyed it. Great job Terry!

    ReplyDelete