Monday, November 27, 2023

From Down Under by Meryl Brown Tobin

MUSE MONDAY 

Please welcome Meryl Brown Tobin to Muse Monday on Discover... She's writing from a place I know I'd love to visit. Enjoy!

With its remoteness, turquoise sea, rugged red sandstone cliffs and kilometres long stretch of white sands, Broome is a colorful exotic place to visit in Outback Western Australia that goes back to the Dreamtime. It became a pearling town from the late 1800s until the mid 1900s. Peopled by Aborigines, Japanese, Chinese, Malayans, Filipinos, Koepangers (East Indonesians) and Europeans, it was a truly cosmopolitan town. During World War 2, it was turned into a military garrison.  Now a top tourist destination in Australia attracting thousands of tourists each year, it is famous for its pristine waters, beaches, wildlife, tropical climate and spectacular colours.

Because of its beauty, history and remoteness and my family and I had visited it a number of times and loved it, I chose Broome in 1986 as my setting for ‘Broome Enigma’.  On our first visit, in 1970, the caravan park had a sewerage problem and we decided Cable Beach, then isolated and not developed, was the best place offered as an alternative.  Apart from a young couple, my family and I had the iconic vast white sandy beach and turquoise ocean to ourselves.

On a working holiday in Australia's cosmopolitan Outback town of Broome in 1986, Jodie, a young book designer and artist is open to romance and adventure.

     At the holiday village where she is staying, she meets Joe, a young man who works there. Despite the strong attraction between them, the many unknowns about his earlier life keep them apart. To try to uncover his mysterious past, they travel to Perth and back to Broome and are drawn into not only bizarre but also dangerous situations.

     Is Joe the person she thinks he is, or is he some alter ego? Can Jodie and Joe stop their relationship from developing until they have answers and know if he is free to love her?


A big gust of wind rocked the van and flung Jodie
hard against Joe. He pushed her off.
“Joe, it’s me, Jodie! Wake up, wake up!”
“Jodie, is that you?” He threw his arms around her
and buried his head in her chest.
She brushed his hair back from his sweating face.
“Take it easy, Joe. Take deep breaths. It’s okay. It’s
going to be okay.”
He stopped shaking and pulled back from her.
“What’s happening?”
“It’s the cyclone. Don’t you remember?”
Another huge gust shook the van and sent Jodie
sprawling on Joe’s bunk and into the wall.

BUY LINKS:

AMAZON US

AMAZON AUSTRALIA

AND MANY OTHER AMAZON SITES

BARNES AND NOBLE


Meryl Brown Tobin is an Australian writer who writes fiction and non-fiction for adults and children, poetry, educational puzzles and cartoons.  She has had 21 books published and hundreds of poems, puzzles, short stories, travel and other articles, and cartoons published in more than 150 print and digital publications in Australia and overseas. Her debut novel, ‘Broome Enigma’, a romantic suspense novel, was published by The Wild Rose Press in November, 2023. Details: https://sites.google.com/view/merylbrowntobin-author and Meryl Tobin - Society of Women Writers Victoria (swwvic.org.au)


5 comments:

  1. It's sounds positively gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Bamakim, Brenda and Ilona. I love Broome and I’m glad that has come through. A female friend who has read the book wrote: "I have just finished reading Broome Enigma, I must tell you I loved it, I was really sucked into the read, I read the first two chapters on Sunday but yesterday [Monday] I had to force myself to put it down to get my housework done. I finished the last two chapters in bed with a coffee this morning [Tuesday], I have not done that for years and it felt like a little luxury. I am yet to visit Broome but it’s on my list and now when I do I will be able to reference all the true to life landmarks and history in your book all over again."
    Thank you, Brenda, for hosting me and other fellow writers on your beautiful website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those interested in 'Broome Enigma’, more readers’ review comments are posted on https://sites.google.com/site/merylbrowntobin - NOVELS. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete