Monday, September 9, 2024

Life's Adventures with Jimmy Buffett

Blogging about life's adventures and books...

Adventures past, present, or future. And my books--then and now. 

The world recently marked the first anniversary of the death of an important man in my life—a man who influenced my lifestyle for many years, who was the reason FDW and I had a wide circle of friends, and a man who brought me great joy with his music—Jimmy Buffett, December 25, 1946 – September 1, 2023. Born December 25, and in my opinion, a great gift to the world. 

My brother, who is twelve years younger than I am, introduced me to Parrothead mania in the seventies. It was instant love at first listen. The thing with Jimmy’s music is, it wasn’t widely played on the radio stations (which for you youngins’ is the way we found music 


back then). He charted only 13 top 100 hits in his career. His first top 40 hit was Come Monday in 1974. It’s one of the most beautiful love songs, in my opinion. And even if you aren’t a Buffett Parrothead, I’m guessing you can sing at least a few lines of Margaritaville, the ultimate Parrothead party song. In fact, it’s known as the Parrothead National Anthem.

I can’t begin to count how many Jimmy Buffett concerts I’ve enjoyed in Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Alpine Valley (WI), Los Angeles, and Atlanta. But I’ve seen a bunch. They aren’t just concerts. If you never experienced a Parrothead gathering for a Buffett concert, I can’t begin to explain what they are. That would be a whole post in itself. 

When FDW and I left Arizona for Minnesota, we were entrenched in Parrotheadism, but had no idea how much deeper we would dive. After nearly a year in Minnesota, we were still without friends. We were both in management positions, so mingling with office staff was touchy. We’d never been regular church-going people, so we didn’t have that way to meet people. We really didn’t want to do the bar scene which we’d never been

into. But I did suggest maybe we should and start “picking-up” friends in random bars. We thought about joining some sort of club. FDW did some research and discovered St. Minnesomeplace in Paradise, a Parrothead club.
And life got so much better. We gained a circle of friends that have
lasted decades even though we left Minnesota and are back in Arizona. While in Minnesota, we raised tons of money for charity,
true to the Buffett philosophy. And we partied with a purpose, which was charity, but wow did we party. Jimmy Buffett promoted a lifestyle, and we Parrotheads were on board. 

It's been a year since his passing. When he passed, part of my past went with him, part of my heart went with him, my soul ached. Because he was so much more than a singer, than a man. He inspired generations of Parrotheads.

I haven’t listened to his music since he died. I know I should find joy in his legacy, and I should dance like no one is watching. But not yet. Each and every one of his songs sparks a memory. Yes, they are happy memories, but without him, I just get sad.

That said, thank you, Jimmy Buffett, for being you. Your message is one of joy and heartfelt soulful philosophy. I’ll find a way to tune in, to listen, again. In time.

2 comments:

  1. Lola and Frankie best Parrothead/Just friends ever. (Made treats come to my eyes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww not sure who you are anonymous, but I bet I miss you!

      Delete