Thursday, January 7, 2016

THE LAST TORTUGA THURSDAY



The Farmer has left the farm.

Those of us left behind do not want to pick up the hoe and continue…that would be retired hubby and me.

Four years ago when we started this adventure:
In 2012, on the plains of Northern Arizona, two families joined forces and began the trials and tribulations of building a small family farm with nothing in the bank but love.
We didn’t know if it would be a success or not. It’s not easy living under the same roof with relatives. Add
Red Okra and Soy Beans
to that, trying to come up with a plan to make a living off the land and feed the family. That was my son’s plan.

In spite of changing directions this year, our adventure was a success.

Black Tomatoes
We ate well. I’d always loved fruits and vegetables, but had never tried, much less seen, some of the varieties my son grew. Red okra? Black tomatoes? And we contributed mightily to the local food bank. Hubby vowed from day one he didn’t play in the dirt, but he came up with some pickle recipes that rocked the world of many pickle enthusiasts who we sold to at the farmers’ market.
Frank's Recipe

We learned some life skills…survival in many forms. And we did it without killing each other in the process. Like I said, two families under one roof has pitfalls to avoid. We did it. In the four years, we had a marriage and added a new member to the family. You might have heard me talk about my granddaughter—just a little! We also lost a member, Rusty. We’ve missed him horribly.

Rusty
So, if it was going so well, what happened? Money happened, and an offer he couldn’t refuse. We’d learned a new lifestyle, but hadn’t yet found the way to make a very good living. Then out of the blue, a friend of a friend offered the Farmer a job. Actually, more than a job, a piece of a new business. He wasn't looking for it, yet there it was. He thought long and hard—we all did—but in the end, a man can’t turn his back on an outstanding opportunity.The future is bright.

Turn the page. The next chapter has started.  Hubby and I will be making it up as we go for a while. Although our son’s family had to relocate, we’ll watch over the property and split our time between there and the RV. I’m turning Tortuga Thursday into Thrifty Thursday. In this world, at least in our world, we need all the help we can muster for living on the cheap. I’ll mold Thursdays into a helpful account of our adventure. I hope. You let me know as it goes. I changed my mind after this post went live. I'm not sure what I will call it, but Thursdays will continue with the adventure/misadventures of retiring, sort of, and just where this new chapter is headed. Yes, any hints I can come up with for creative living will be included.

You can still check the blog on Monday for Muse Monday, on Friday for Fearless Friday, and I’ve added Wicked Wednesday.

Thanks for following along on Tortuga Thursdays. You can still read those past posts since they are archived right here. I hope you follow along and enjoy the new face of the blog.

30 comments:

  1. I'll miss Tortuga Thursday, but it looks like a grand new adventure for all--looking forward to Thrifty Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life works in mysterious ways. I'm happy for your son and his family, and wish them nothing but the best. You'll figure this new way out, as when you all began the journey four years ago. Looking forward to hearing about your thrifty ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, life is an adventure. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very engaging tale. Wishing you all the best on your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your Thursday posts because they were so different and interesting. But I also love how you are embracing a new life adventure. Much success your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrifty Thursday should be a hit. We're all looking for bargains.

    Cathie Yankovich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope I can come up with great ideas, Cathie. Nowadays it's a challenge.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best all round, Brenda. Thumbs and fist bumps in place of kudos to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've followed your adventure every step of the way and will certainly continue. When I read about Lance's new venture, I couldn't imagine you and Frank wanting to continue farming. Can't wait to hear what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't blame you for hanging up your hoe -- it's a tough job (I live in farming country. I know of what I speak).

    I hope all works out well for you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is an adventure--you've had a wonderful experience that might give ideas for your books--and now you're on to the next part of that adventure. I've enjoyed Tortuga Thursday but I'll definitely look forward to Thrifty Thursday! Good luck and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. The next part is always an adventure.

      Delete
  11. Loved your adventures. So sad to hear you lost Rusty. I had to put two of my old Golden's down in 2015. It broke my heart.
    Still have two and a new puppy (!) now that's an adventure
    (in potty training here in El Nino country!) Wishing you every blessing. It's kind of romantic being on the road in the RV...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear you've enjoyed. Hopefully our further adventures will bring some entertainment.

      Delete
  12. Best wishes to you and your family! I loved reading about your farming adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn, never got to try the pickles, but life goes on. God bless you in our new adventure, Brenda!

    -- Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we have only a few jars left that Frank and Lance horded away. Eventually, Frank will have to put his chef hat back on and make us some!

      Delete
  14. I've found that "retirement" takes many forms. Farming would not be one of them, traveling in an RV? Yes!!! I know you'll continue to have adventures and enjoy the time on the land as well as traveling. I'm also looking for ways to economize.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comment, Judith. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A brave new world for you to conquer1 Eager to hear the adventures. I wish for you a wonderful, exciting, and fulfilling journey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BTW, I didn't "retire" from my career; I "transitioned" to a new one! Retirement is an old person word, and that just doesn't fit you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Sharon. My husband hangs on that retired thing. I write. And love the transition like I bet you do!

      Delete
  18. Wishing you the very best in this coming year. It promises to be a challenge, but you have weathered challenges before. Sometimes change can also bring new opportunities. Wishing you lots of exciting new adventures.

    ReplyDelete