Saturday, August 17, 2024

Reading and Reviews (Ligon and Evanovich)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. From time to time, I'll share my reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day. 

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense and mystery, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, romance, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author.

Polly's List by Kim Janine Ligon

CJ Reynolds couldn't wait to escape his hometown. He's loving his bachelor life as a software developer in California. So much so that he hasn't been back in years to see the grandmother who raised him.

Mikal Benson believes her small town is perfect for raising her son, Will, alone. When Mikal finds her neighbor, Polly Rogers, sprawled on the floor in a pool of blood, barely clinging to life, she calls Polly's grandson - CJ Reynolds - and insists he must come home. Now!

From her coma, Polly whispers three words that change everything. Did she fall or was she pushed? CJ, Mikal, and Will form an unlikely team coming together to discover the truth as danger engulfs them and love transforms them into a family.

My Review:

I’m a big fan of character driven stories. Ms. Ligon shines with her characterizations of Polly, her grandson CJ, Mikal, and Will. The last is a child, and although I think children are particularly difficult to write realistically, the author pulls it off. I really enjoyed not much liking CJ in the beginning. He didn’t pay enough attention to Polly over the years. When he finally comes home, and Polly is in a coma, we watch as his personality is revealed to us in more depth. This is a mystery that unfolds and keeps you guessing. It’s entertaining and enjoyable. Recommended.


Tricky Twenty-two by Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum might not be the world’s greatest bounty hunter, but she knows when she’s being played. Ken Globovic (aka Gobbles), hailed as the Supreme Exalted Zookeeperof the animal house known as Zeta fraternity, has been arrested for beating up the dean of students at Kiltman College. Gobbles has missed his court date and gone into hiding. People have seen him on campus, but no one will talk. Things just aren’t adding up, and Stephanie can’t shake the feeling that something funny is going on at the college—and it’s not just Zeta fraternity pranks.
 
As much as people love Gobbles, they hate Doug Linken. When Linken is gunned down in his backyard it’s good riddance, and the list of possible murder suspects is long. The only people who care about finding Linken’s killer are Trenton cop Joe Morelli, who has been assigned the case, security expert Ranger, who was hired to protect Linken, and Stephanie, who has her eye on a cash prize and hopefully has some tricks up her sleeve.

My Review:

I took a break from Stephanie Plum novels as they tend to feel the same. Eventually, you get enough. But I came back and read Tricky Twenty-two and enjoyed it for all the same reasons I always do these books. Funny and entertaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment