Monday, July 22, 2019

Communicating in More Ways by Kelly Brakenhoff #deaf #mystery

MUSE MONDAY

You'll certainly enjoy my guest day, Kelly Brakenhoff. Your heart will be touched and you'll learn something. Read on...

When I published Death by Dissertation, the first book in the Cassandra Sato series, I felt elated to check off my bucket list item that said, “write a novel.” But although writing feeds my creativity and love of story, my day job feeds my soul. Working as an American Sign Language Interpreter, I give access to communication for people who wouldn’t normally understand each other. For example, in a doctor’s office appointment, I help the medical people understand where the patient who is deaf feels pain, or how they became injured so the doctor can make a correct diagnosis and effective care plan. In a college classroom, I help the professor and students who don’t know ASL understand the discussion contributions from the student who is deaf.
Many times people who can hear but don’t know ASL tell me they want to learn because it looks fun. Often, they are shy about approaching a deaf person who uses ASL and communicating directly with them. I tell people to learn a little bit and then go try it out. I don’t speak Spanish or Italian, but I know a few phrases to find a bathroom, say please and thank you, or excuse me when I travel. The rest we figure out with pointing and gestures.
I hope people who read my books will feel inspired to communicate with your deaf family, coworkers, or fellow parents who have a kid on your softball team. Cassandra Sato, the main character, only knows a little bit of ASL but she figures out how to get her point across in other ways.
Learn ASL online or at your local community college (and not only the swear words, please). Don’t be intimidated that you only know a few signs. Most people appreciate that you’ve made a direct connection and are trying to use their language. I believe that being understood is a basic human need we all have, and we shouldn’t be afraid to reach out to people different than us and understand the world from their viewpoint.

Here's one of my favorite websites to start learning signs:


DEATH BY DISSERTATION
Ambitious Cassandra Sato traded her life in Hawai’i for a dream position at Morton College in rural Nebraska. She expected the Midwestern church casseroles, land-locked cornfields, and face-freezing winters would be her biggest challenges, but it’s her job that’s rapidly becoming a nightmare.
A deaf student is dead, and the investigation reveals a complicated trail of connections between campus food service, a local farmer’s beef, and the science lab’s cancer research.
Dealing with homesickness, vandalism, and a stalker, Cassandra is trapped in a public relations disaster that could cost her job, or more. No one said college was easy.

EXCERPT
“Sheriff Hart’s hand rested on his thick black leather utility belt. “Can anyone identify the student?”
Evan said, “I’ve seen him on campus, but I dunno his name. He’s a sophomore or junior.” The others nodded, but no one volunteered a name.
Cassandra looked right and left in surprise. Morton was so small, Cassandra had just assumed others recognized him, too. “I know him. I’m pretty sure that’s Austin.” Saying his name out loud had made it real. “His roommate, Lance, is a work-study student in my office. He’s deaf . . . both of them are,” she added.
Loud voices drew Cassandra’s attention to the far end of the two-story Media Center where a small crowd had gathered. A wide sidewalk, bordered by shrubs and ornamental trees, connected it to the Edgerton Center. Even 20 yards away they chattered animatedly, but one student wearing a knitted hat was more agitated, pointing at the staircase and yelling.
Cassandra looked back over her shoulder at Austin’s body. As bad as she felt for him, he was the police’s responsibility now. Her job was with the students. No one covered this in New Student Orientation. Frowning, she moved towards them and noticed Dr. Nielson doing the same thing.
When she came close enough, Cassandra heard shouting. “My lab’s in there! I need to check the rats! Who is that?”

Excerpt From: Kelly Brakenhoff. “Death by Dissertation.”

BIO
Kelly Brakenhoff is an American Sign Language Interpreter whose motivation for learning ASL began in high school when she wanted to converse with her deaf friends. Her first mystery, Death by Dissertation, was published in April, 2019. Look for the sequel, Dead Week, and her children’s picture book series featuring Duke the deaf dog, both coming in the Fall of 2019.


Twitter: @inBrakenville
Instagram: @kellybrak
Pinterest: @kellybrak 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Brenda for inviting me on your blog! I'm so happy to share my love of ASL with you and your readers.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete