Thursday, July 30, 2020

Reading and #Reviews (Dean, Hubbard, Garner)


I'm a writer, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you what I'm reading and reviews of past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a book or an eReader at night for the last hour of my day.

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. I've just about finished Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. Lovin' it. This is one of those crime books that was made into a movie. I really enjoyed the movie and the book is every bit as good. Besides Crime Novels, I read Romantic Suspense, law novels, WWII historicals, mysteries, and some main stream character driven novels.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not too distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author!

Precarious: Martini Club 4 by Alicia Dean
Romantic Suspense Novelette 
I love all things 1940s so this story attracted me from the beautiful cover to the title. And the read met my expectations of an Alicia Dean story. Iris Taggart is engaged to one of the wealthiest men in Boston…her mother’s dream, not hers. When she reunites with an old friend, a WWII hero and now a detective, her doubts grow stronger. Lucky they find each other again when a killer has Iris on his victim list. It’s a fun romance in the romantic 40s.



Adirondack Mountain Mystery Series by S.W. Hubbard
Mystery 
This is a three book bundled series. The third book is a short story anthology.

Police Chief Frank Bennett patrols the not-so-mean streets of Trout Run, New York, an idyllic town nestled in the rugged Adirondack Mountains. 

The Lure
Police Chief Frank Bennett has his hands full when a group of environmental activists shows up in Trout Run trying to close down Raging Rapids, a popular tourist attraction. But of course there is murder to deal with.

Blood Knot
When a tough-love school for troubled teens opens its doors in Trout Run, Frank Bennett worries about the arrival of so many juvenile delinquents on his turf. Sabotage and murder follow.

Dead Drift
Frank Bennett investigates three puzzling crimes in these short mysteries with big twists.
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. Frank Bennett is a homespun character, and I have a little crush on him. He has two sidekicks, a younger man who is in training to be a cop and the older female secretary. It’s small town and delightful. I could see the scenery, got to know the townspeople, and the mystery and suspense kept me going. The short stories were enjoyable although not as good as the full-length stories.


Hunted by Marissa Garner
Romantic Suspense 
Catching bad guys in San Diego's underworld isn't just FBI Special Agent Ben Alfren's job, it's his life. He doesn't have time for a serious relationship, doesn't want one either. So when he meets his sexy new neighbor, Amber Jollett, he has nothing more in mind than unwinding with a glass of wine, a romantic walk on the beach...and maybe a hot fling. Not only do they get caught up in each other, but also a human trafficking ring.

Passion and danger kept me reading this romantic suspense. You’ll love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunted-FBI-Heat-Book-1-ebook/dp/B017RQSNXU/

2 comments:

  1. Brenda, these all sound great! Thanks for sharing--I'd rather read a book recommended by a friend!

    ReplyDelete