Monday, July 27, 2020

Friends and #Friendship for Muse Monday by CJ Zahner


MUSE MONDAY


If we have one really good friend in life, someone who we can always rely on, and we would walk to the ends of earth for, we can count ourselves really lucky. CJ has a great post today on friendship and real life experience adding to our fiction. Enjoy!

Good friends are blessings. Most women have at least one person they can truly rely on. I call  
these people “comfort” friends. You trust them enough to confess your inner thoughts and secrets to. You’re comfortable with them. Honest. They totally have your back. Admit anything, they won’t judge you.
I am blessed with a supportive circle of friends who have helped me walk every step of the way through life. Being married and raising a family while working full-time was stressful. Having friends who were simply a phone call away, helped me get through some of life’s toughest days.
Hence, I wanted to write a story about friendship.
Friends Who Move Couches was inspired by true-life events in both my life and in my friend’s lives. Yet many aspects are different. First and utmost, because this is fiction, I spiced my life up and married myself off to a man who cheated on me. It is true that I do come from a small family and am frivolously addicted to friendship, but thankfully, I married Jeff Zahner, not Mark Grey (the husband in my book). Throughout my thirty-eight-year marriage to Jeff, I often wondered how many men would so easily smirk and shake their heads at my escapades. But Jeff and I have been faithful to each other since the day we met. (He assures me I can state this. He does not want to end up a character in one of my thrillers.)
All of my novels are somewhat inspired by my life but Friends Who Move Couches is the closest I can come to a memoir. It reflects my experiences with raising three children, dealing with Alzheimer’s, suffering health issues, and the main topic, surviving the loss of friendship. I believe, because so many chapters were based on real-life trials and tribulations of friendship and motherhood, readers resonated with and related to Nikki.
Most of the characters are real. In fact, one of my best friends who is mentioned in the book, Carol Crandall, is the model in my ad Friends Who Move Couches, do we really need them?

Blurb: 
Nikki Grey's idea of living dangerously is not wearing a seatbelt, yet calamity always seems to find her.
Friends Who Move Couches is a laugh-out-loud yet insightful story about life, friendship, quieting your inner critic, and surviving rejection.
Married to a workaholic, mothering three rebellious kids, and feuding with neighborhood friends, Nikki Grey forgets her problems one afternoon by smoking marijuana. That blunder ignites a lifelong yet dormant medical condition, and she loses her driver’s license. Suddenly stranded in her home, she’s forced to stare out the window at women who have ostracized her.
Her true friends encourage her to concentrate on her health, but Nikki is her own nemesis. She embarks on a scheme to win back neighborhood friends and plunges into efforts that only end in muddying her reputation. She becomes the butt of neighborhood jokes.
Foolishly, her ache to mend her broken relationships escalates.
Not until her two-timing husband asks her a question that catapults her frivolous suburban life into a tailspin, is she forced to stop reaching for others, stand on her own, and decide: Who should she keep in her life and who should she kick to the curb?


Excerpt:

Evy opens a folder he’s brought along. “I’ll draw the list of good friends. Those who move bodies.”
He hands me the paper. “You write down friends who stab you in the back, like Ellie, on your list.”
“Why am I a bad friend?” Ellie squeals.
“Because your mouth runneth amok.”
“Nikki, am I a good friend?”
“A very good friend,” I say. I write Friends Who Move Couches on the top of my list and enter Natasha’s name beside the number one.
Evy drops his pen and stares at me.
“What?” I react. “I’m not putting Ellie on the bad list.”
He stands up, points a finger, and taps the top of my paper. “What does this mean? Friends who move couches?”
“That’s the saying. Which kind of friend are you? A friend who moves a couch or a friend who moves a body?”
“My God, save them from themselves. The saying is ‘A good friend will help you move, but a true friend will help you move a body.’ No mention of couches. Has that seizure crashed your memory?”
“What? It’s not friends who move couches?”
“No! No couches.”

Contact Links:

Website:              www.cjzahner.com 
Twitter:                https://twitter.com/TweetyZ
Facebook:           http://bit.ly/FBcjzahner
LinkedIn:             https://www.linkedin.com/in/cyndiezahner/
Goodreads:        http://bit.ly/gProjectDream
BookBub:            http://bit.ly/BBProjectDream

Links for Purchase

                 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Brenda! This was a fun blog. Friendship means the world to me!

    ReplyDelete