Monday, April 17, 2023

Reading and Reviews (Gallant and Barbur)

Although I've managed to do a little reading over the last few months, I haven't taken the time to post reviews. I'm just busy-busy writing. But I had to stop, take a break, and get some reviews done, or I'll forget what the books are about!

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author.


Chilling Moonrise (Leave No Trace Book 4)
 by Jannine Gallant

An inheritance she never anticipated or desired sparks murder . . . and passion.

Widowed and left with her husband’s vast empire to manage, Camille Valentine isn’t sure how much longer she can hold on. Between her single-minded need to succeed and the very real threats on her life, the pressure is crushing her soul. The only thing keeping her sane is the man determined to protect her at any cost.

Former Navy Seal and black ops agent Michael Zorn spends his days chauffeuring an extremely wealthy—not to mention gorgeous—woman to and from her business meetings. Not the future he’d envisioned, but he’d made a promise to the man who’d once saved him, one he doesn’t intend to break.

As a hired assassin steps up his game, Camille and Michael fight for their lives. From the Santa Barbara shore to the redwood forest to the rugged beauty of Mount Rainier, her desperate plight ignites feelings neither of them anticipated. But until they uncover the identity of the traitor behind the hitman, true happiness is an impossible dream—because their reality is a relentless nightmare.
 

MY REVIEW:

I’ve loved this series and couldn’t wait to dive into book four. As usual, Ms. Gallant gave me a good entertaining read.

Camille Valentine has been on my radar since she was mentioned in another of the series books. I hoped she’d get her own story with her Navy Seal bodyguard. Camille has her hands full with too much money and too many greedy step-children. It’s a mystery if one of them could be trying to kill her. Thank goodness for Michael Zorn, who’s promise made to another man to protect Camille has him watching her every move. Trouble is, watching her and her watching him watch her leads them into a relationship they didn’t expect. Hold on, this isn’t all about romance. There is plenty of suspense. Enjoy this read!

AMAZON BUY LINK



Primitive Weapons: A Tye Caine Wilderness Mystery Book 2
by David Barbur
 

It was supposed to be a simple job: go to the private island, find the missing billionaire.

Instead, tracker Tye Caine and his friend Gary find themselves caught in a dark conspiracy that blends ancient artifacts with modern technology.

Hunted by an unseen gunman, stalked by dark shapes in the forest, Tye and Gary must first unlock the decades-old secret of the island, then understand the modern-day technological terror that is about to be unleashed.

Tye will need all his wilderness skills to survive this one.

My Review:

I’d like to classify this as a “man’s man book” and yet I kept reading to the end. It’s a real blend of mystery and suspense, high-tech/low-tech, and a touch of supernatural. Once in a while I felt a little lost in the jungle of the plot just like the characters, but the twists and turns are probably what held me. It’s an adventure you might enjoy.

AMAZON BUY LINK


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the great review, Brenda! I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I enjoyed Jannine's book too. Only wish I could have left a review. (That stuck!) **heavy sigh**

    ReplyDelete