Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Wicked Implied, Wicked on Every Page by Janet Raye Stevens #WickedWednesday #CozyCrime


WICKED WEDNESDAY

Please welcome Janet Raye Stevens to Wick Wednesday. I love her take on wicked. Enjoy!

I’m from Massachusetts, home of Lexington and Concord, land of the Mass Pike and aggressive drivers who rarely use their blinkah, and birthplace of the Pill and the Smiley Face. My home state is also famous for the use and abuse of the word wicked. The word is baked as deeply into our DNA as chocolate chips in the Bay State’s signature Toll House cookies. We use the word as an adverb, adjective, occasionally an interjection, sometimes even a conjunction.

I’m not immune to the lure of wicked – it’s sprinkled into my vocabulary to a ridiculous degree. However, you’ll rarely see the word uttered in my published short stories and yet-to-be published mystery and romance novels. I guess I don’t have my characters use the word because wicked is there in spirit and intent on every page, modifying every bit of dialogue, enhancing the narrative, and sprucing up the details.

For example, when I was writing Beryl Blue, Time Cop, a romantic time travel set during WWII, I adopted the philosophy of “go wicked big or go home.” The result is an emotional, bittersweet, and sometimes wicked funny story of contemporary librarian Beryl Blue (23), who’s sent back to 1943 to protect a soldier on weekend leave from a rogue time traveler bent on killing him—and changing history. Beryl soon learns two things: her soldier, Sgt. Tom “Sully” Sullivan, is more than capable of taking care of himself and it's her heart that needs protecting. The more time she spends with the gruff sergeant, the deeper she comes to care for him.

Beryl’s backstory is one of loss and mistrust. As a result, she’s terrified of getting close to anyone, hiding her fear behind cynicism and sarcasm. Sully’s funny, blunt, protective, and wicked tall. And as down on love and marriage as Beryl is. With that conflict fueling their romantic dance, I had no choice but to go wicked big crafting their scenes together.

Beryl and Sully spar and banter and smolder from the get-go, when they meet on a country road. She asks him for a lift to a nearby town, moments before the bad guy tries to run them down:

BUY LINK
Why, Sgt. Sullivan, I hardly know you.

That zinged through my mind between the moment he crushed me to him and when he literally swept me off my feet. I held on for dear life as he leapt backward, out of the path of the car. Sullivan hit the dirt with a thud that shook us both. I landed on top of him. The car sped off and we lay entwined in the dirt, shaking, breathing hard. His warm, tobacco-tinged breath brushed my face.

"Hey, you asked me for a lift," he said, his voice rumbling.

"Very funny." I pushed against his chest. "Let me up."

His arms tightened around me. "Not 'til you say thank you," he said, mischief in his voice. 

"Thank you?" I tried again to break free, not a smart thing to do. He was enjoying me wriggling on him way too much. I mean, that was definitely not a gun in his pocket, and, yeah, he was happy to see me. "Thank you for what?"
"That lead foot tried to run you down. I just saved your life."

Pretty sure that had been a clumsy attempt on Sullivan's life, but I was too freaked to argue the point. I just wanted to get up. "Oh, all right, thank you."

He hesitated, as if there might be more to this ridiculous horizontal discussion, then released me. I stood up as daintily as I could then leveled an accusing stare at my rescuer. I went from looking down my nose at him to looking up as he heaved his bigness off the ground. I was struck again by his powerful build. Oh, who was I kidding? I hadn't lost track of that since I'd first clapped eyes on him.

And they were just getting going! Here’s an interchange from a little later, when Sully’s giving Beryl a ride to town—and also giving her the third degree:

"Are you here to see your husband or fiancé? Or are you…" Sully gave me a look so full of meaning he didn't have to say it. Either I was shackled to some man, or I was on the hunt for one, preferably a guy with some dough. 

That irked me. A lot. "Really? If you think outside the box, Sergeant, you'll find there's a third option." Okay, what was that third option? An idea sparked. A brilliant idea. "I'm on my way to join the Army. I'm enlisting."

"Enlisting? In the WACs?" he said with some surprise. 

Oh. The WACs. The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. I forgot. Women couldn't enlist in the regular army in 1943.

"Yup, I'm joining the WACs. I'm going to enlist on Monday."

One of Sully's eyebrows quirked—half suspicious, half amused, half condescending. Yeah, that's three halves, but dang, one little eyebrow packed a lot of judgmental punch. He didn't believe a word I said. And why should he? It was a flimsy story, and I was a terrible liar.

Sully gets a little less suspicious and a lot more friendly as the story progresses. Kisses are involved. The bantering pair eventually fall for each other. But they’re from different time periods and can’t be together, a fact that nearly crushes Beryl in this scene near the story’s end, after they’ve secretly spent the night together in her room:

He shrugged into his jacket and strode to the window. "I don’t want Ma or anyone else to know I spent the night here with you." He winced at the moan of wood scraping wood as he slid the window upward.

"Sully, you're seriously not--" He swung a leg over the sill. Yes, he seriously was. I ran over. "You'll break your neck."

His blue eyes twinkled. "Would you cry if I did?"

"You know I would."

He seared me with a look that made me flush, then lifted his hand and touched my cheek. His voice went barrel deep. "Marry me."

I went still. Two words packed with almost as much power as that dreaded four-letter word. And from him, the man who scowled at the mere mention of matrimony. Was it terrible that I wanted to say yes? No matter what it would do to the timeline, or how much it would mess with history. I wanted to stay with Sully. Forever.

Because I was in love with him.

I blinked, stunned at the plain, terrifying, awful, undeniable truth. I was in love with him, he was in love with me. He wanted me, and I wanted him.

But it was hopeless. We could never be together.

Now, now, don’t fret. I’m not so wicked I wouldn’t give them their happily ever after (well, happy for now, since I plan a sequel). You’ll see, when I finally get this story out into the world. After a wicked long journey trying to find a home for this quirky time travel tale, I plan to self-publish Beryl Blue, Time Cop in early 2020.

I did, however, have better luck at finding a home for a character who could be Beryl’s ancestor, the wicked smart and wicked wry spinster librarian Miss Emily Applegate, star of my Derringer Award-nominated WWII-set short mystery, The Vanishing Volume. It’s 1944 and some sneak thief is pilfering books from the library’s collection bin for the troops. As you can imagine, Emily puts a stop to that wicked fast. The Vanishing Volume appears in the library-themed anthology Shhhh… Murder! from Darkhouse Books. Take a look!

BIO: Janet Raye Stevens writes short mystery stories and full-length Young Adult, mystery, paranormal, and contemporary romance, all with a dash of humor. Janet has been a finalist in the Romance Writers of America® Golden Heart® Award contest for three years in a row: Paranormal in 2017 with Beryl Blue, Time Cop; winning for short contemporary in 2018 with Cole for Christmas, and this year for her Young Adult sci-fi The Nascent Bloom. She lives with her family in Massachusetts, where she spends her days drinking copious amounts of tea (Earl Gray, hot), plotting revenge (best served cold), and creating fictional worlds populated with wicked cool chicks and hot guys.

Find Janet here:

No comments:

Post a Comment