Thursday, June 6, 2019

In the Book: #inspiration of Men and Bull***t #romance

The first book I published went to audio recently, ten years after I signed the contract. I love to
answer the question "what inspired Sleeping with the Lights On?"

One afternoon, when my sister was visiting, she complained about her last disappointing date. She was divorced, and sick of dating and being single. I always told her, jokingly, you've had more men in your life than any one woman deserves, so buck up. That day, I suggested her dating life would make great fodder for a short story. I sat at my computer and told her to recite a characterization of every man she'd dated, starting with the ill-fated relationship with the G.I. in Germany who took her on a date to the Black Forest and didn't get past the first tree, so to speak. I titled the file "Of Men and Bullshit."

That short story turned into the full-length novel, Sleeping with the Lights On. Although there are
Toasting the launch 2010 with my sister
fictional escapades sprinkled into the tale, the men are all real. And by the way, I couldn't fit in all of them.

The cover has been updated since then, but the story is still a fun romp with suspense, humor and a surprise ending. And I'm sure my sister would want me to tell you, it isn't all true. But the men are! You can read the first chapter HERE.





A secret admirer, a redheaded stalker, and an eccentric millionaire 
have thrown Sandra Holiday on a dangerous path.


After two failed marriages and countless relationships, Sandra thinks she’s met the man to end her years of less than perfect choices; choices that not only derailed her travel-related career plans, but also left her single and broke.

Carson Holiday, a Las Vegas country crooner with swoon-inducing good looks, spent his adult life pursuing a recording contract and love, never holding on to either. After eighteen years, he drops back into Sandra’s life, reigniting an attraction he can’t deny.

When Carson reappears, Sandra must choose again. As life confronts her with yet another turning point, will her decisions find her eternally sleeping with the lights on – or will she finally discover a way to turn them off?

BUY LINKS:
And everywhere good books are sold.

Learn more about the characters in Sleeping with the Lights On HERE
Read the first chapter HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment