Thursday, February 27, 2020

Reading and #Reviews (Gallant, Dwiggins, Henderson)


I'm a writer, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you what I'm reading and some reviews. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a book or an eReader at night for the last hour of my day.

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. I’m currently reading two books. The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (a fun way to teach myself to relax and yes I’m still reading it a few paragraphs now and then) and A Riesling to Die For, a cozy mystery. I also read crime and law novels, WWII historicals, mysteries, and some main stream character driven novels.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not too distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author!

She’ll Never Rest by Jannine Gallant
Romantic Mystery
This is one of Ms. Gallant’s earlier novels. In this early novel, I see glimmers of the suspense novelist with which I associate the author. I enjoyed this early work immensely. Genealogist Darby turned ghost hunter falls for non-believer Logan. She’s hired by Logan’s grandfather and while researching the family tree, she discovers the identity of the spirit who haunts the family home. There are twists and turns and the ending is sure to satisfy you.






River Run by Toni Dwiggins
Mystery
This novel is a tale woven around forensic geologists and the Grand Canyon. I didn’t know there was such a thing as forensic geologists. Rafters are missing and foul play is suspected. Cassie and Walter use pebbles and rocks to follow the clues. If you like really detailed information about rock formations and river flow within the Grand Canyon, you’ll find this story interesting. The geology details overwhelmed the story in my point of view. At times, I didn’t understand why the geologists were even involved. There is a subplot about the river being under attack that seemed forced. But if you enjoy geology with your suspense, you’ll enjoy the book.



Second Wind by Alison Henderson
Romantic Suspense
The setting alone will rope you into this story. Big Sur and Carmel-by-the-Sea are vivid characters as much as the people who populate this novel. Ms. Henderson steeps us in the art world. She also weaves a great story of suspense around kinetic sculptor Laurel McDowell and her abusive ex-fiancĂ© as well as a new love interest who happens to be a forensic accountant for the FBI. The art, the food, the love, the suspense…I recommend this read.







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out She'll Never Rest. It was my only attempt at a ghost story, and I had so much fun writing it. I'm glad you enjoyed the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it...maybe you'll venture into that genre again?

      Delete
  2. Brenda, I just grabbed Second Wind on your recommendation--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay. Hope you enjoy. Alison will be happy to hear that.

      Delete