Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The World of #Audio for The Art of Love and Murder #Interview with Holly Holt


The Art of Love and Murder, book one in the Love and Murder Series, is now available in audio. Today, I’d like you to meet the very talented Holly Holt, the narrator for my series. She’s currently working on book two of the series, Southwest of Love and Murder. I know once you hear audio of The Artof Love and Murder, you’re going to want to take advantage of Holly’s engaging talent and check out her other books.

I’m new to this whole audio world too, so Holly agreed to an interview and a peek into her world.

Me: Hi Holly! Great to have you here. First off, where do you work and turn the written word into audio?

Holly: I have a “studio” at my house. My 7-year-old daughter told her friend the other day, as they passed my office, “And that is where my Mom talks to herself for hours and hours.”

Me: Oh, funny. Leave it to kids. How do you approach a book when you first see it and make the decision to audition a sample? 

Holly: I’m really big on envisioning the characters – it feels like the most important thing to me. I feel like as a narrator it is my job to make them real to the listener. To make them really connect with the characters in some way. A book is an escape, so I really want to give the listener a wonderful alternate from reality for a while. Once you have the characters nailed – everything else seems to fall into place.

Me: How long does it take to complete the average book? What are the steps?

Holly: A lot of it depends on the size of the book. If a book is less than two hours reading time, it can be completed in less than a week. More average length books take a few weeks. I do sort of have a “process” to my books. I like to research the author a little and get to know the types of books they do, etc. I learn as much about the title that I’m doing and hopefully get as much insight from the author as far as the characters and what their “vision” is for the book. 
After reading the book, I start with the recording. I typically work on recording a few books during the same week as I find I can keep the “energy” of the book better. Once I record everything, I go back and do all the editing (the exception being the first 15 minutes which I edit after recording).

Me: That’s fascinating. What led you to becoming an audio book professional? 

Holly: I used to do training videos professionally for about ten years, but they were such boring videos showing medical professionals how to use software. I always loved the audio portion. I decided I wanted more flexibility and time with my precious girl (and my boy who is on the way) so I got into Audible earlier this year. It was a perfect fit for me. It doesn’t even feel like a job.

I have always loved books! Growing up I would try to do chores while reading which would drive my poor mother insane. I like to imagine her looking down at me from heaven and laughingly saying, “Well at least you are getting paid for your crazy book obsession.”

Me: We have something in common. I always propped a book up behind the faucet at the kitchen sink to read while I washed dishes. Drove my mom crazy, too. Do you have a favorite genre to narrate? 

Holly: Oh, this is a tough one to answer! Can I blame the fact that I’m a Gemini that I love SO many different genres? I typically do romance the most because I seem to have the voice for that, but I really enjoy a variety of genres – dramas, non-fiction, horror, and sci-fi.  I also really enjoy comedy. It is all such a blast!

Me: Is there a genre you won’t narrate? 

Holly: I don’t think so. I even do quite a bit of erotica under a pseudo name (again with my voice I get requested for those a lot lol).

Me: Will the Love and Murder Series be your first full series to narrate? 

Holly: Yes, actually! I have hopped in the middle of a few different series and am working on a couple of other series that probably will be done after this awesome series. I’m so excited to be a part of it. 

Me: Okay now some lighthearted questions…

Because I write Romantic Suspense, do you ever fall for any of the heroes (or heroines)? 

Holly: Okay don’t tell my husband, but yes totally! I’m a sucker for the heroes who seem all dark and brooding and then you discover this soft, romantic side of them. I’m a sucker for that!

Me: Are you so sick of reading that you can’t read for pleasure anymore? 

Holly: No never! But like I said, I’ve always been an avid reader. This is what a nerdy bookworm I was in 3rd grade. We had a contest for every book you read for the year. We got to put a circle for each book that was part of a giant caterpillar around the room. The teacher had one for the class and one just for me. That is how obsessed I was.

Me: Coffee, tea, or cola? 

Holly: All three! I’ve been trying to stick to water mostly because I’m pregnant, but I do indulge every now and then! I’m a sucker for Diet Dr. Pepper or mochas.

Me: What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t narrating a book? 

Holly: Spending time with family.

Holly, it’s been great getting to know you. I’m looking forward to working with you on the rest of the books in the Love and Murder Series.

Find or connect with Holly here:

2 comments:

  1. Interesting insight into the workday of an audio-book narrator. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete