Thursday, October 24, 2019

Reading and #Reviews (Eden, Gallant, Dean)


I'm a writer, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you what I'm reading and some reviews. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a book or an eReader at night for the last hour of my day.

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. My current read is Lethal Memory by Jannine Gallant, a romantic suspense. You might notice I read a lot of Ms. Gallant’s books. I'm only a chapter into it, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the read. I also read crime and law novels, WWII historicals, mysteries, and some main stream character driven novels.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not too distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author!

Fear for Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher by Cynthia Eden
Romantic Thriller 

The story was involved which is a good thing. I guess I should've thought twice that since it is about a Bayou Butcher the descriptions could be graphic. Not my cup of tea. The prose read rough in some areas. I found the hero's constant use of calling the heroine baby annoying. She was a very believable character and one of the highlights of this book. Being an author, I’m not opposed to foul language used in a story if the use is authentic and fits the character and style. Unfortunately, use of the F word felt gratuitious. If you like a gritty crime story and a too macho hero, you'll enjoy it.



Every Vow She Breaks (Who’s Watching Now book three) by Jannine Gallant
Romantic Suspense

Ms. Gallant’s stories are usually set in northern California, as is this book which takes place in the majestic Redwoods. She puts us there nicely. And then tosses in a twist because we’re on the search for Big Foot. While heroine is hoping to catch the unexplained on camera, the love from her past recaptures her heart. The story turns sinister, and you’re sure to enjoy this suspenseful romance. Recommended.



Death Notice (The Northland Crime Chronicles, book one) by Alicia Dean
Romantic Suspense

Ms. Dean knows how to weave crime, suspense, and romance, which is why this isn't the first book I've read by her. A newspaper columnist, Monroe Donovan, receives obituaries before they happen. Detective Lane Brody sees her as a suspect. While she deals with a boss who used to be more and a detective who is in an unhappy marriage and she’s attracted to, the murderer manages to capture her. The characters have depth and good back stories. The plot is compelling. Recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Vows, Brenda! Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete