Thursday, November 4, 2021

Reading and #Reviews (Novak, Cohen)

I'm an author, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you reviews of present and past reads. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a paperback or an eBook at night for the last hour of my day.

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. Besides Romantic Suspense, I read crime and law novels, once in a while a true story, WWII historicals, mysteries, and mainstream character driven books.

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not-too-distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author.

Blind Spot by Brenda Novak

With Jasper Moore, the privileged boy who attacked her when she was only sixteen, finally caught and in prison, Dr. Evelyn Talbot, founder and head psychiatrist at Hanover House (a prison/research facility for psychopaths in remote Alaska), believes she can finally quit looking over her shoulder. She’s safe, happier than she’s ever been and expecting her first child. She’s also planning to marry Amarok, her Alaska State Trooper love interest and the town’s only police presence.

But before the wedding can take place, a psychopath from the much more recent past comes out of nowhere and kidnaps her in broad daylight. Instead of planning her wedding, Evelyn finds herself doing everything she can to survive, save her baby and devise some way to escape while Amarok races the clock to find her - before it’s too late.

AMAZON BUY LINK

The premise and blurb intrigued me. Unfortunately, the story didn’t hold me. The suspense never quite zinged. It felt more telling than showing. I hate to diss the book because I’ve met Brenda Novak, and she’s a great person. I know there are plenty of Novak fans out there that will hate me for giving her less than a five-star review. I just didn’t feel the chemistry between Amarok and Dr. Talbot. Her research facility didn’t seem plausible. The story had too many drag moments.


Sizzling Synopsis by Bryan Cohen

Do you hate writing blurbs? Do you wish there was an easier way to summarize your novel and get more sales in the process? Author and copywriter Bryan Cohen’s book descriptions have hit both the Kindle Store’s Top 50 and the USA Today Bestseller list. Let him show you exactly how to craft the copy you need to hook new readers.

Finally, you no longer have to take on the challenge of copywriting alone. With a more intriguing synopsis in place, all your future promotions, ads, and marketing campaigns can perform significantly better. You want more readers to buy your books, and Bryan’s system is a great way to make it a reality.

If you like detailed writing guides, plenty of examples, and a touch of humor, then you’ll love Bryan Cohen’s look behind the scenes at how he creates copy that sells.

AMAZON BUY LINK

The last paragraph in the blurb says it all. And although I’ve been published for twelve years and felt I knew what he was teaching, it clarified so much for me. For newbie authors, the simple way he has of teaching and showing will hit home. Great guide.


2 comments:

  1. You've encouraged me to explore Cohen's book--thanks! And too bad for Brenda Novak. I've enjoyed her work in the past but I guess no one can score a 100% all the time.

    I always enjoy your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, yes, Cohen's book is basic for an experienced author like you but I still found it helpful. And hey, you might enjoy this Novak book. No author pleases everyone!

      Delete