Thursday, August 29, 2019

Reading and #Reviews (Jackson, La Plante, Binchy)


I'm a writer, but I'm also a reader. Each month, I'll share with you what I'm reading and some reviews. My available time to read is limited because I write, but I love to curl up with a book or an eReader at night for the last hour my day.

I tend to read what I write, but not exclusively. My current read was a Romantic Suspense by Alicia Dean entitled Death Notice. I say was because my Kindle died before I finished. I picked up an actual book by Tom Clancy while my Kindle fixes itself...which it isn't doing. As soon as I get a new Kindle, I'll finish Ms. Dean's book. I was really enjoying it!

Here are some of the books I've read recently or in the not too distant past. Maybe you'll discover a new book or author!

False Bottom by James M. Jackson
Crime Suspense
“In this sixth book in the Seamus McCree series, he must find a path through a labyrinth of lies and secrets stemming from his father's death more than forty years earlier and resolve all of Uncle Mike's legacies before the killer can strike again.

This is the first Seamus McCree series book I’ve read. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it. I doubt you need to read the books in order, but I’d like to go back and read book one to be sure. I had the sense I needed to know the family better. I couldn’t “see” the Seamus character clearly. I had trouble understanding what made him tick. I love a good story, but I also require characters with depth that pull me in and make me feel like I know them. All and all, the story was involved and intriguing.

Widows by Lynda La Plante
Crime Suspense
“Facing life alone, they turned to crime together. Dolly Rawlins, Linda Pirelli and Shirley Miller are left devastated when their husbands are killed in a security van heist that goes disastrously wrong.”

Criminal’s wives turn to crime. Dolly is the leader as was her husband. She’s rich and smart and not too young. She discovers his playbook and decides to continue his work. The only thing that made me hang in on this book past the fourth chapter was the characters. This book was written for the purpose of turning it into a film. It read that way to me. I didn’t find it written particularly well. But Ms. La Plante did weave a complicated tale, and it turns out with a bit of a surprise twist here and there. The characters were so vivid, I had to follow their paths to the end.

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy
Mainstream
“When a new highway threatens to bypass the town of Rossmore and cut through Whitethorn Woods, everyone has a passionate opinion about whether the town will benefit or suffer. But young Father Flynn is most concerned with the fate of St. Ann’s Well, which is set at the edge of the woods and slated for destruction. People have been coming to St. Ann’s for generations to share their dreams and fears, and speak their prayers. Some believe it to be a place of true spiritual power, demanding protection; others think it’s a mere magnet for superstitions, easily sacrificed.”

I am never disappointed with a Maeve Binchy book. Her tales of seemingly ordinary people absolutely enthrall me. There doesn’t need to be murder or hair-raising suspense that pushes your level of believability. Her characters are enticing, her settings beautiful. Always a great read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment